Roof Felt Repair - Did I pay over the odds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I entered the loft of our house and noticed there was a sizeable tear in the felt and rain water was coming in. I placed an advert on a reputable website and was contacted by a guy who said he would come out within the hour to give me a quote. After looking at the tear and the rest of the roof, he said he could replace the section of felt with new breathable lining and re-batten for £650. As I had heard repairs can be expensive when factoring in scaffolding, etc, and as the water was a concern, I accepted the quote as he said he could start "straight away". The gentleman then got a long ladder, hopped up on the roof, took the tiles off, sliced away the damaged felt, replaced with breathable fabric and replaced the battens. All in all I think it took him about 40 minutes. While I'm glad the repair is done, I can't help feeling like I've paid slightly over the odds, especially as there was no scaffolding, hardly any materials used (2 battens and about 3m2 of fabric) and given the fact it was done within an hour. The company has a 5 star rating and lots of positive reviews, so perhaps I'm just worrying over nothing, but just wanted to see what others thought of that price?

Sponsored Links
A tear in the felt shouldn't cause rainwater to enter unless there's also a problem with the roof covering. Did he identify/resolve that too?

The quote does seem a little toppy but there's a risk premium for working off a ladder while balancing the 20 tiles he removed on his left buttock. Someone else might have taken 3 hours to do it with a scaffold tower. As long as you're happy with the result...

Maybe it's one of those life lessons to get a couple of quotes, even if only to get multiple interpretations of what was actually wrong and what (if anything) needed to be done about it.

Sponsored Links
He repaired the underlay but did he fix the roof leak?
Anyway, next time ask around... Even speak with a roofing merchant for a name .. most will let you know the contact details of Key account holders.

To be fair to him, 3 square metres of tiles, battens, and felt in 40 minutes is good going. Are you sure you didn't have a nap while he was doing the job, Bob?

Is this another wind up thread that will last 17 pages and have ago at all tradesmen?

Why didn't you ask questions on here first?

Post some pictures of what has been done.

Andy

Roofers will all have been replaced by drones in a couple of years anyway. Just order a new tile off Amazon prime and quad copters just lower it in to place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back