Roof felt ripped. Repair? (condition of roof felt)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thank you in advanced for your help with this, I really appreciate it. :)

After a small roof leak, I removed numerous clay (not concrete) tiles and found a wet patch with a clay colour.

With no other water present, I can only assume it came through the tile. The tiles did look very old, so I've replaced 9 tiles around it. (also replaced a couple nearby that were broken in two)

Question 1:
There is rip in the felt (it feels similar to shed roofing felt). It's easy to feel off bits of it. But does it truly need replacing given there are no other leaks?
Should I do something about this rip?
IMG_8842.jpeg

Question 2:
The bottom part of roof has a different felt that is not tar. I thought it was strange that it's raised at the bottom, such that any water in there could pool (in theory). But we've never had a problem. So perhaps this is a non issue? (showing the neighbours flat roof in the back as 'level')

IMG_8845r.jpg

Thank you,
Mj

Sponsored Links
Looks like a roofer has carried out localised repairs to your old roof wherby they have removed the old battens (x2 courses), fitted a new piece of membrane (breather membrane 1m wide) and fitted new eaves trays/comb fillers. Your old felt tear will be irrelevant. Look to see if there are any pinholes in the new membrane and repair.

Clay double Roman tiles can be leaky if everything isn't spot on.
There is still a damaged tile second course up to the left . This will allow ingress.
The original felt is bitumen based 1f the lower strip is a breathable to piece fitted more recently . The rip can be repaired using the same method.
I'm guessing the board forming the dam may indicate exposed rafter feet. A picture from further away would be good

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much :)

Picture from farther back:

IMG_8844.jpeg

@datatrebal - Thanks for spotting the damaged tile. Here is the final result in that section of the roof. The replacement tiles I have are second hand.

IMG_8847.jpeg

but there are other sections that look less great:

IMG_8848.jpeg

I started to put some numbers on but they're mostly the same quality, so if you think they need to go I probably need to swap the lot...

@noseall - thanks for the pinhole tip. I've brushed up the area and I can see a nail right where the leak was. I have some clear exterior sealant, should I cover the nail in that? I don't see any pinholes otherwise. If I do see one, is sealant sufficient or do I need another product?
(I'll try to clean it up better and look for a pin hole)

IMG_8850.jpeg

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back