roof flashings next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house no 7 gable is higher than no9.no9 had it roof replaced and flashing the flashing are of the up stand type thay then hacked off my render and only replace about 12incc to cover their flashing thay also rendered the chimney that had flashings on their new roof this render has now fails and thay say its my chimney and gable and want me to rerender the chimny and gable were do I stand ?

Sponsored Links
Ask the neighbour to rectify the damage they caused, or else you do it and claim the cost back off them - via the court if necessary.

If all was ok before your neighbour got his new roof then it's his responsibility. Do as Woody says.

You'll have to have some written evidence that your leak was caused by the work done next door.

Sponsored Links
No 9 complaining the flashing on his roof and render over his flashing and just above on the chimney are in poor condition and coursing damp and says it my responsibility to repair it

Thanks for your reply s

says it my responsibility

In these situations a homeowner has an implied right to fit flashings into your wall, however the maintenance of the flashing is their responsibility.

The render is your responsibility, but if it was damaged by the builders that is their fault (and responsibility) not yours.

There is a potential for defective render to permit dampness to the wall below. But much more likely is that the flashings have been poorly fitted - and that would be your argument.

Unless you are sure that your render is the cause, then you may like to leave it to your neighbour to prove the cause of their damp. Or let them sort it out.

An independent opinion may help.

Thank you the chinmy render is about 18 inch above their flashing which appears to have been done at the time the flashing were fitted the scratch coat that is now showing covers their flashings as this is small area this would have been the right thing to when fitting the flashings but now seems to have had its day or some 18 yr ago this would have been I'm am great for you reply

As theses houses are terries does this not form as a party wall I'm quite prepared to assit in any way we have already replaced their flashing at the back and render the 18inches above upto our slates
as it would be point less not doing one without the other

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back