Roof insulation & venting for warm roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All - Please can you assist. My existing unventilated pitched roof structure is of warm roof (slate, waterproof sarking felt, rafters, 75mm mineral wool & 9.5mm ordinary plasterboard).

I wish to introduce foil insulation in a few locations - typically above the exposed timber purlins (where i cannot paint EMF shielding paint - nearby mobile phone mast) and I would like to know the installation precautions I need to take.

2 products appear suitable - Ufoil by Euroform products or Astrofoil (www.astrofoil.co.uk) - the multi foil quilts (typically 400mm width) do not appear suitable as i have to install between rafters and in my very old house the spacings are irregular - some 320mm, some 370mm, etc.

I was thinking of stapling this foil membrane to the rafters and then refitting the existing mineral wool BUT I am not sure whether the foil should go above (directly beneath sarking felt) or below the quilt - no existing problems with condensation staining but the quilt is damp in places - picking up damp from underside of sarking felt.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Sponsored Links
Think you may be creating more problems for yourself. the reason your quilting is damp is because you don't really have a warm roof. Warm moist air is passing up through the quilt and condensing on the sarking felt.
You could try fitting a vapour barrier to prevent warm air getting between your rafters but then you will probably just create problems in your loft space.

ventilation ventilation ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back