Roof lantern under PD

FMT, I believe he's asking us whether his roof design (which we've never seen) can be altered so that it has a dip, depression or is in some way lower in the region where he plans to install the lantern, such that the lantern is within the 4m limit. To me, that's called a rooflight, albeit a strangely shaped onet
Yes that is pretty much how I interpreted it, but that's just dumb as you would then need to drain it and take on all the risks associated with such a poor design like what happens if the drain blocks up and having to take rainwater back inside the roof as well as having to make upstands or bizarre falls which will presumably will not help the OP to 'have 4M high clearance to get my beloved pitched at the sides' whatever the hell that means. Therefore I took it for granted that the OP was not as thick as two short planks, forgot to pay his brain bill, the lights are on but nobody's home or is a few cards short of a deck but is in fact just illiterate and meant something else.

Sponsored Links
You could form a flat roof with a parapet up to 4m and have it sunk behind to conceal the lantern. Bear in mind ceiling height is normally 2.4m so with a flat roof make-up, you'd be looking at approx. 2.7m so you have approx. 1.3m to play with (i.e. overall height of lantern including upstand). That would still be under PD but also subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.

You must surely be able to get a roof lantern with a height of 1.3m or less.

Guys
Going through our single story rear extension under PD (6M), total covered area approx. 33SQM. I understand that max height for the roof under PD is 4M, we are thinking of getting a roof lantern (3Mx1.5M) installed. The lantern will sit on the flat roof without up stand so that part of the roof will be higher than 4M, do we need run this by Planning? I believe we would need BR approval but unsure if i need to involve Planning.
Cheers
Why are you designing a 4m high roof? Would a 3.0m or 3.5m high roof not be sufficient. Thus leaving room for the lantern.

Sponsored Links
I think it's roof + lantern > 4m, and for some reason he thinks he can't get the lantern short enough to come in at 4m.

To be fair, we don't know what his ceiling height is. It's all very well for DOH to say it's normally 2.4m, but if the OP is trying to match the existing 10-12' in a Victorian house then he is doomed.

Obviously I don't have the detail but the highest Victorian ceilings aren't generally more than 2.7m. So with 300mm for the roof structure that's still only 3m. Even if the roof is exceptionally deep due to structure I couldn't see it being much more than 3.5m

10' ceilings are quite common, and there's no guarantee that it's not even higher.

What if it's a Georgian house?

High sliding sash Georgian windows allow a good degree of light into the reception rooms and the generous proportions are typical also of Georgian houses. The ceiling height in the drawing room and the reception hall is 14'6" (4.45m).

Or it might be a modern replica

"We have replicated the ceiling heights, about 11ft, which is unheard-of in new-build apartments,"

We just don't know.

Either the OP has a roof topping out at 2.5-3m, and for some reason wants a very tall lantern, or he's got a very high roof.

10' ceilings are quite common, and there's no guarantee that it's not even higher.

What if it's a Georgian house?

If it was a Georigian house, it would almost certainly be listed, and OP would need planning perm. whatever.

As per jeds, most urban Victorian ceilings tend to be around 2.7m, rather than the 2.4m common between the Wars.

Don't forget that the OP's ground floor level could be 600 plus above externalground level, particularly if the house has a cellar.

Well, I've been in a number of Victorian (or possibly Edwardian) houses which had 3m+ ceilings

Didn't think about the possibility of a cellar. Another reason why there's no point speculating. Until the OP tells us what the roof height is AGL, and why, and what height lantern he wants, and why, we might as well keep schtum.

Depends on the basic design

205236.jpg

090408_orangery_lantern_hardwood_sm.jpg

1-oak-lantern.jpg

8575459_orig.jpg

flat-roof-lantern-large.jpg

obviously, but a standard double hipped conny roof lantern without frames would be around 900mm

i see what you mean, my idea would keep the height down but ill leave it at that now, ^^ is more 'lantern' really

You know I did wonder, in the context of this thread where there's a height issue .. Why not just go for a flush design like the latter rather than the upstanding former. The amount of light admitted must surely be purely down to the hole size rather than the pagoda atop it.. So why have the pagoda? Does it create a greater sense of space inside? Would that former lantern be used as a lookout? One imagines so looking at the views but surely any platform on which to stand would occlude most the admitted light anyway? Bizarre concepts..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back