Roof/Lead Experts - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Guys,

Hope everyone is well.

Any lead-workers about by any chance?

I have a leak (small drip) that is coming through the top bedroom bay window. After removing the cladding (from the inside) I could see a few holes in the existing flashing, indicating replacement.

The work area measures in at 3.5m x 600mm.

There is only 1 supplier that I have found who is prepared to get me custom cut of lead but the price is extortionate. The cheapest price I have found for Code 5 (6m x 600mm) is £229.25, which still, is on the high side for me.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a cheaper and/or better alternative to Lead? If so, how reliable is it?

I have read some online articles by the Lead Association and Calderlead that state you should lay lead in lengths of 1.5m strips.

The total width I am covering is 3.2 - 3.5m.

2. Do I cut two 1.5m strips and one 0.5m strip? or is there a better way to divide/cut the lead to cover the working area? i.e. three 1.16m strips?

3. Whichever option is best in question 2, what method is the best to join the overlapping strips? - nails, screws, lead sealant or just simply hammering it down?

4. When overlapping each strip, by how far do I overlap each strip for e.g. does strip 2 need to overlap strip 1 by 100mm?

I am a complete newb and I would be extremely grateful for your help and advice.

Thank you very very much for helping

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hahaha no worries bro.

If its best to go with Code 5, I will but I really could do with some help regarding the technical questions.

Cheers mate.

Leadwork (i.e. lead rolls, burning, bossing etc) is a highly skilled craft and not a diy undertaking.

The odd flashing and apron maybe, but not a complete roof.

I think you are confusing lapping flashing (which is vertical) with joining lead on an almost horizontal roof

You can't just overlap lead in this use on a bay roof - water will get between the lap. Normally a rolled joint would be used, or perhaps a soldered joint

You may be better off getting a mod to move this thread to the roofing section, as there is a guy (Leadman, I think) who should be able to answer this in more detail

There is also the dressing around the roof perimeter to consider

I think you are confusing lapping flashing (which is vertical) with joining lead on an almost horizontal roof

You can't just overlap lead in this use on a bay roof - water will get between the lap. Normally a rolled joint would be used, or perhaps a soldered joint

You may be better off getting a mod to move this thread to the roofing section, as there is a guy (Leadman, I think) who should be able to answer this in more detail

There is also the dressing around the roof perimeter to consider

Cheers mate!

That's what I was thinking originally - water getting between the laps.

Forgive me for my ignorance but what is a rolled/soldered joint? The first thing I am thinking of when reading "solder", is multiple pieces of lead being soldered at the point they join.

Would you also be able to confirm the 1.5m rule? - Does the lead for this particular case need to be cut at 1.5m lengths?

Thank you friend.

1 no not really imo

2 split it into equal sections ,eg 3x bays so you would need to wood core rolls.

3 If its flat or only has a small fall you are looking a wood roll , standing seam is possible but harder to achieve.
The only way to do it with out is by welding in a rubber expansion strip or two if diemensons require ,haven't used it in years but used to be pretty expensive

http://www.source4me.co.uk/store/store/Roofing-sundries/Flashings/Lead-Expansion-Joint/prod_170.html

4 overlap is based on the pitch of the roof and its nota option if its flat

I'm a city & guilds qualified lead roofer, LAS reg'd etc, here is my advice to you;

Get a bloody lead worker to do it, its all well and good having a go at general DIY, but were talking a lot of money on materials here, materials that need to be used to the proper standards, or they are rendered useless.

Average cost to renew a bay roof in lead = £550-£750, if thats unaffordable I suggest you consider cheaper alternatives.

Trust me, if you dont know the basics ie lappage, length codes etc, this is not a job for you to undertake!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back