Roof leak - Outside wall now inside wall, leaking under wall-plate - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to anyone who can help, :giggle:

I have had a lean-to extension built and have a leak at the very top of the internal ceiling (pitched ceiling)
This was evident even before the insulation and plasterboard was fitted as seen in the picture below.
(Various steps were taken to rectify it, which is why i continued with fitting the ceiling - However, they haven't worked)
The upstairs bathroom window was replaced and re-sealed too

Does anyone have any ideas?
The tiles are fine, and i am convinced it's not capillary action under the lead - There is gap between the top tile/felt and the wall
Most people instantly say it must be the lead flashing but again this looks fine and a couple of lengths have been removed, checked and re-fitted/sealed

The old gable-end above (which is now the inside wall below) is rendered - Could it be that the render is old/porous/saturates and water gets in where the wall-plate is fixed to the wall??
Maybe the soldier course of bricks above the window? (Have already applied 2 coats sealant)
Or maybe it is the lead flashing? Or anything you can think of??

It only happens when the rain is hitting that side of the house and when really heavy, leaks are dripping/running the entire length of the extension.

I'm lost and fed-up of leaks and damage to the decorating!

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Internal damage.jpg
    Internal damage.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
I would tend to agree with "most people" but without pictures of the wall ,flashing & upstand can't tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back