Roof leaking below Velux

Do you have a recent smart phone and a vaulted ceiling? Load up the measure app (iphone) or protractor app (android) and put it on the ceiling....

Sponsored Links
Do you have a recent smart phone and a vaulted ceiling? Load up the measure app (iphone) or protractor app (android) and put it on the ceiling....
Trust me, that roof is pitched lower than those tiles allow. Simple trig' will show that. Any old angle finder on the underside of the white fascia will corroborate.

Trust me, that roof is pitched lower than those tiles allow. Simple trig' will show that. Any old angle finder on the underside of the white fascia will corroborate.

I didn't say you were wrong, its just an easy way to do it as most people have a smart phone in their pocket...

Sponsored Links

thanks both. I downloaded the velux pitch app and that gives 17.7 deg so taking away it’s a phone the roof is still on the border line. There was some rain last night and the roof looks ok for now, I’m still not convinced. Even though the felt is the second line of defence I noticed it’s still punctured with nails because the horz battons is nailed to it so I guess it could get in through there but unlikely I guess.

Its hard to imagine how the water is getting past both tiles and felt?
unless it a cavity tray thing!

It sits 160mm on the tile all the way along.
View attachment 226464
That only shows how much flashing is down the roof slope. It does not show cover on the head of tiles. Also it does not show side over lap on each flashing section. It is also worth checking under the cill. And the seal around the window frame .
It's a small roof taking tiles off all the way up shouldn't take more that a few minutes

Update.

It's been good since March but today it started leaking again after the heavy rain overnight :(

I've already paid the builder the outstanding amount. I've had a local roofer out this morning, someone who fitting my facia and guttering prior to the extension a number of years ago so I trust him. Straight away he said the pitch is too shallow and there isn't enough headlap. He said without raising the whole roof to meet the minimum pitch he could try and re-felt around the problem area (he said he would do the 2 veluxs) and if that didn't work he would pack up all the battons to get an extra row of tiles in to increase the headlap. He said it was a tidy build and the tiles/felt etc were all very neat but the wrong pitch.

Building control have already passed the build and issued certificates.

Bit of a nightmare and a cost I don't need.

Do I have a leg to stand on with the builder? the drawings didn't have dims for the roof pitch but if he is building a roof for scratch and picking the tile then he should construct the roof at the correct pitch right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back