Roof leaks - should I care?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm a first-time house owner, so I really don't know what I should expect from my roof.

House is a 1930s semi with a tile roof. We added a side extension, so there is a new roof section.

I'd appreciate any advice.

I have two areas of dampness:

1) Leak at the chimney. This is dripping a bit on the boards, and the damp is clearly visible on the brickwork. Presumably the flashing on the chimney is the issue.

Is this something I need to fix pronto, or is this the kind of thing that I should expect in a house this age, and sort when I change the old roof in 5/10 years time?

2) I'm seeing a bit of damp at the bottom of the rafters that used to be the edge of the old roof, but which are now the boundary to where the new roof area is. (e.g. no roof is resting on these any more).

I can't figure out where this damp is coming from. I'm wondering if it is running down the rafter and collecting at the bottom, working it's way out from old exposure (from when these rafters were the roof edge) or coming from somewhere else.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It needs to be looked at by a roofer the leak at the chimney might be a cracked flashing. The leak at the bottom could be from a missing or cracked slate. Also the gutters might be blocked. At the moment it might just be a simple fix if left might cost a lot of unnessary money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back