Repair roof before selling the house????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bungalows roof seems to require a lot of work. Most of the rafters from the top and running down a few foot are quite damp.
I think its all coming from the ridge tiles somehow, but I don't really know how to be sure. Is there a way of telling for sure where its coming in from?

Im also in the process of having my chimneys repointed and releaded at a cost of £600 all in.

We will be selling the house in a year or so. Im trying to work out how much I should budget for spending on the roof to get it dry. How much value would a house typically be reduced by if there was damp in the roof?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should add that the roof is covered with slates, not tiles. Its the supercem sort. The ridge tiles are the same colour and seem to be made of the same thing.

Its the old story,do i do it or let the next buyer have the job.Cant you ask the blokes doing the leadwork what the condition of the ridge tiles are?
Why not sell the house in the height of summer!

you shure its not condensation therough lack off ventilation is it draughty up there!!

Sponsored Links
Often the cost of work is often cheaper than the amount an offer will be reduced by following a surveyors report that says it needs work to the roof.

I call it the FEAR tax.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back