Roof / Loft Support. Can anything be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there is a room already in the attic that is currently on its way to being made bigger by extending it into the unused eaves of the house so make use of them. Everything should be going to plan however there is one support there that is in the way.

I could box around it somehow and close the corner up but i was wondering if there is any other way of maybe changing it to be less bigger, support it further along or make a shorter support possibly. There are two in my loft space at this side and i assume there are more in the neighbours too. (Semi- Was one house many many moons ago)

IMG_3686_zpsb8ffe9f7.jpg

Whats anyone think on this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Can't think what they would be for, unless some sort of tie to restrain outward pull of the rafters.

Probably not very effective if that was the original intention.

Asked another couple of builders I know and they said it wouldn't be doing anything now and could probably be taken out and left. To be on the safe side I'm going to put in a couple of restraint straps from the wood to the brick work along the wall. Extra protection and piece of mind for a few quid even if they're not really needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back