Roof making weird loud noises!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner lives in the top floor flat of a converted victorian building (so basically in the attic portion). There is a flat roof along the main section of the roof which was replaced in 2009. In the last week we have had some really odd noises that have happened on 3 occasions and lasted for about 3-5 seconds. There has been some loud banging noises over the flat roof section in one section which for comparision I thought were my partner banging a rolling pin on the kitchen top until I realised it was coming from above...

Anyway this has happened three times (all at dark) and the section is nowhere near the chimney stack or water tanks. I know the area has nothing on it but the felt from the flat roof. There are not internal issues (leaking or signs of any wear) but clueless as to what it is. I have heard pigeons dancing around before but nothing like this. It is a 3 storey building with only one adjoining neighbour - so anyone up there would be spotted! My first thought is that it is a large animal (too loud for a rat) but how it would ever get there....The sound is also slightly rhythmic so basically doesn't feel like its debris or something....slightly nervous!!! Has anyone had any expereince of this???

Sponsored Links
Poltergeists? :eek:

poltergeist_2.jpg

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
What is the flat roof covered with, are you sure it's felt or is there metal covering up there?
It could be zinc or stainless in which case the noises are the material cooling and contracting at night which would seem likely as it's now summer so lots of sun and therefore heat during the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back