Loud banging noises coming from new flat roof extension

Hi. My roof has continued to make loud noises despite everything that Everest has tried to do to fix it. They are coming again this summer to rebuild the flat roof with the grp covering.
Have you are or anyone who can read this heard of a solution?
The problem is definitely caused by temperature changes, and nothing to do with wind. It can be really loud, and anywhere across the roof. It occurs in daylight and darkness. It sounds like damage must be occurring, but none is visible. When the roof was last opened there was no visible damage.
Venting the roof, and painting it with a reflective white paint has not helped at all.
If you have any knowledge of a solution I would appreciate it.
Please don’t ask me any questions about expansion joints, thermal expansion, thermal shock or slip joints as they mean nothing to me. The sad thing is that no manufacturer or supplier has provided an explanation or a solution. It is us who are suffering who have realised that it is a temperature issue.
I would appreciate any extra knowledge on this issue
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Two weeks ago Everest painted the roof white. Unfortuantely we still have the same problem, with loud noises. The noise occurs during daylight and darkness, and is obviously caused by temperature changes. I have never figured out why the noise can be so loud, and what actually makes the noise. It can be like someone running over the roof.
I think Everest have run out of ideas.
Have you any success?
Does anyone with this problem have a plan for moving forward and getting it resolved?
UselessMan
Yes you said that 2 minutes earlier.

You don't have to keep posting the same reply over and over again, just changing the name in "Hi, <name>"

It is nice to see that someone else is having trouble with a noisy flat roof. I thought I was alone. We have recently built an extension with a flat roof and decided to get Everest to fit a fibreglass roof. Whenever the sun comes out, very loud bangs occur in the walls and ceiling. It eventually settles, but starts up again when the sun goes down again. The noise is so loud that it gives us a fright when it starts and makes the dog go mad barking. I am now waiting for the manager from Everest and their surveyor to call soon. I will let you know what they say.
Hi. I also have an Everest roof, fitted in 2010, and have the same problem. they have visited several times but don't seem to know what the answer is. They have tried a few things, but nothing has worked. What have they suggested to you? Does the manager come from the St Albans depot?
Hi. I am trying to contact ajs1954, briandiy, shedsman, muks11, donmaico, rutlander and bert99 as they all have the same grp roof problem as me. The noise has been incredible recently. Everest are coming to rebuild the roof in June, but don't actually know what the problem is. Do you have any good news, updates, a solution, or do you all still have the problem? Please respond if you have a grp roof with the noise issue, as I am desperate to find a way forward that will work, rather than any hopeful suggestions. I can tell you that there were no damp conditions when my roof was installed, and it has already been opened up looking for leaks or dampness, and there weren't any. I look forward to hearing from you.&#8195;

It is nice to see that someone else is having trouble with a noisy flat roof. I thought I was alone. We have recently built an extension with a flat roof and decided to get Everest to fit a fibreglass roof. Whenever the sun comes out, very loud bangs occur in the walls and ceiling. It eventually settles, but starts up again when the sun goes down again. The noise is so loud that it gives us a fright when it starts and makes the dog go mad barking. I am now waiting for the manager from Everest and their surveyor to call soon. I will let you know what they say.
Roof Noise – Good News, problem fixed
My problem with noise from my grp covered flat roof has been fixed. The roof was rebuilt last week and there has been no noise since.
The materials used were the same. The major difference has been to reduce the amount of air space, and so the roof is 4 inches lower than previously. This has removed the need for the long screws. If I can get details of the fix I will forward them on. The problem doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with dampness, cold deck or warm decks, or expansion joints, and laying a false grass layer doesn’t seem to be a good idea. It seems to have been about the amount of airspace, what is in the airspace, and temperature changes. It is so peaceful suddenly.

Sponsored Links
The major difference has been to reduce the amount of air space, and so the roof is 4 inches lower than previously. This has removed the need for the long screws. If I can get details of the fix I will forward them on. The problem doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with dampness, cold deck or warm decks
Except, of course, you wouldn't have had an air gap unless you had a cold deck.

If 100mm of that ventilation gap has been removed, how much is left? Is it adequate? How did the people who reduced it verify that it remained adequate? Did they give you any written assurances that their work complied with the applicable Building Regulations? Did they give you any warranty?

Hi I had a 50m2 GRP flat roof installed in March 2014 and we have had exactly the same issue with creaking/ bangs when the roof warms up or cools down. Our builder/ roofing contractor is coming back to us, but are scratching their heads I would be interested to get your builders details so they can can talk directly to my builders in the same language as I am not practically minded! Your help would be very much appreciated. As this is the first time I have posted on this site I have no idea how yo get your direct e mail address?

Hi I had a 50m2 GRP flat roof installed in March 2014 and we have had exactly the same issue with creaking/ bangs when the roof warms up or cools down. Our builder/ roofing contractor is coming back to us, but are scratching their heads I would be interested to get your builders details so they can can talk directly to my builders in the same language as I am not practically minded! Your help would be very much appreciated. As this is the first time I have posted on this site I have no idea how yo get your direct e mail address?
Hi
You can start by giving them this explanation which I received. I'm not technical but it seems that they reduced the air space, and insulated between my existing joists. I won't be able to provide any more answers but I should be able to get my builder to contact yours if they need more help. All the best.
Here is the explanation.
In simple terms, the new grp roof was built on top of the old boards. This is done sometimes so that it does not disturb the ceiling, possibly causing damage or cracks. The risk is that we must make sure that the screws have picked up the kingspan (foam installation) and the board. If this is not perfect, it may have been the cause of the noise.
There is another type of installation and this is to sit the kingspan in between your joists and then screw the boards down. This is what has been done now, and is the most common installation (probably referred to as standard, rather than warm or cold). You still get the insulation and we know that the boards will not move.

... (probably referred to as standard, rather than warm or cold) ...
So is it neither type?

None of these questions were idle or rhetorical, BTW...
If 100mm of that ventilation gap has been removed, how much is left? Is it adequate? How did the people who reduced it verify that it remained adequate? Did they give you any written assurances that their work complied with the applicable Building Regulations? Did they give you any warranty?

... (probably referred to as standard, rather than warm or cold) ...
So is it neither type?

None of these questions were idle or rhetorical, BTW...
Hi
They have given me a life-time warranty on the roof, so I have assumed that I can't have anything better. It has been a real strain, but they never gave up on trying to fix the problem, and I am very pleased with the results.

I read the commentary below from Uselessman, but this is not isolated. I too have searched for a simple solution.
The GRP is effectively floating on the batten/timber below, so when there is thermal change at the beginning and end of the day it booms away. My roof is south facing so gets maximum thermal stress.
Everest have to their credit made an effort and are now on their third intervention to start today. They put up scaffolding last week for access so I went up to have a look, fill spots from screw inserts all over.
There was a resonance from the roof so at 2 metres and 4 metres from the short side, in I put two 75 litre gardening trugs (plastic) filled them with water (75kg each) and then waited. The roof size is 4x 10 metres.

We have had two silent nights (formerly booming all the time) with tranquility induced I now have a headache from undisturbed sleep. The solution is likely to be to dampen the resonance like putting a hand on a drum skin. We will be discussing further with the surveyor before any roofing is removed.

donmaico wrote:
I had the extension built 2 years ago and opted for fibre glass instead of felt roofing because it has a longer life span.Trouble is i am getting the most unbelievably loud banging noises coming from it.The manufacturers ,Topseal, have been of little help and I cant find much on the net.
Apparently its to do with different expansion and contraction between the wooden structure and the fibre glass as it heats and cools down.Now i dont know whether my roof is at risk but what i do know is that if i ever choose to sell this house i may have problem doing so because of the noise.I just wonder if anyone has any experience of this kind of roofing and any suggestions

Hi People. New to this site and this is my first post. I see that my problem with a noisy fibreglass roof isn't uncommon. Had I know about this issue I would have chosen something else.
Anyway, regular banging/knocking noises daily when the temperature changes have been quite disturbing for my dog and very annoying for us.
Without any building or roofing experience (and knowing that there isn't a simple fix) I looked at it from an outside angle and thought another answer would be to fix the roof more securely.
No - I didn't knock 6 inch nails in. I bought 3 large plastic planters (about 65litre size) and spread them on my 20ft x 10ft roof, then two thirds filled with water. If it didn't work I had 3 planters for the garden. If it worked I would empty the water and put something more attractive in them.
So far, after 2 days, no knocking.
Hope this offers some glimmer of hope to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back