Roof Rafters - White Spot Mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've noticed white marks on the roof rafters at home, from googling I think it might be white spot mould, but would appreciate an opinion or two from people who know what they are talking about!

I've attached a few photos... any thoughts on what this is?
The patches don't stick out from the timbers, they don't look like mould to me to be honest... they're more like dry patches, which seems the opposite of what I would have thought.

IMG_20160502_204224.jpg IMG_20160502_204241.jpg IMG_20160502_204415.jpg IMG_20160502_204607.jpg

I've got a few roofers coming over for a look - but I'd prefer to have done a bit of reading about what needs doing here before they turn up.

I've been told, admittedly by someone who hasn't seen the loft in person, that in order to treat the timbers the loft just needs good ventilation... i.e. that the timbers themselves shouldn't need any treatment. Does that sound right?

The loft is boarded (but not to the edges), it has quite new insulation, there is a new addition of a boiler up there too. The loft has old black, non-breathable felt - house is a 1960s build. Not sure what other info is helpful!

Many thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You dont need roofers coming over and wasting their time. Its white spot mould, and its due to minor condensation caused by lack of ventilation.
Lightly wash off with a bleach wash or similar, allow to dry and treat with an anti-fungal spray from a local shop or the sheds.

Hi Vinn, the areas affected won't wash off... the patches are more like dry areas than a mould on the wood... if you scratch the affected parts of the wood fine dust comes off. Does that sound like white spot mould to you?

Apart from treating the wood, in order to stop this reoccurring the best solution in the long term would be to have a roofer fit some ventilation though, right?

For anyone reading this in the future - a roofer came over last night to have a look.
He said that he didn't think that this was white spot mould and adding ventilation to the roof would resolve the issue (couple of vents at the front and back); no treatment of the wood required.

I'll update this if I get any conflicting opinions.

Sponsored Links
Hi Phil_007

I've just found your thread as I have the same issue. I know it's years ago since you posted but I just wondered if the added ventilation was successful for you?

Did the white patches stop appearing or disappear all together?

Thanks
Ruth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back