Roof ridge tile question, comments or advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the recent storm I had roof ridge tiles blown off and broken I got a quote and the insurance company told to me to go ahead and have the replacement done. The person doing the job told me he would be using the "dry ridge tile method" where they screw the ridge tiles down instead of the wet mortar/cement method. Its a little late but can could someone tell me if this method was suitable for the concrete slightly corrugated roof tiles that are on my roof.
The ridge tiles sit on the high part of the each corrugation leaving a small gap in the lower part of the each corrugation. The house was built about 40 years ago and has in the loft what looks like thick ( about quarter inch thick) plastic sheeting covering the whole of the underside of the roof tiles for I presume extra protection against any leaks. The thing that worries me a little about this method of fixing on this particular roof tile is could the rain force its in through the gaps and is the wind in winter through the gaps going to make the loft a lot colder. The loft is well insulated, the water pipes are covered with foam protection lagging, the pump for the shower in the room below is covered with a huge amount of old clothing to stop it freezing up. Replies or advice may set my mind at rest.

Screenshot of roof and tiles below

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/19656/20131215-eslb-194kb

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It should be fine. A profiled filler (they come in different types to suit the tile) should be fitted to the underside of the ridge tiles. One example of a dry ridge is as linked below:

dryvent ridge example

Edit:
Your own roof is a double roman tile which is quite common - In the example given above they do two profiles to suit very slightly different versions of the double roman tile. Also the vent strip that can be fitted to the ridge tiles would not be required and the version without vent would be used.

It should be fine. A profiled filler (they come in different types to suit the tile) should be fitted to the underside of the ridge tiles. One example of a dry ridge is as linked below:

dryvent ridge example

Edit:
Your own roof is a double roman tile which is quite common - In the example given above they do two profiles to suit very slightly different versions of the double roman tile. Also the vent strip that can be fitted to the ridge tiles would not be required and the version without vent would be used.

This type of profile filler has not has not been fitted is it essential that they are.

Thanks

The profile filler is an integral part of a dry ridge tile system. If the profiles are not in place the work is incomplete. The gaps left without fillers are big enough for birds etc. to get in.

So in my opinion yes they should be fitted. - I would not pay for a dry ridge system until such work was properly completed.

Sponsored Links
There are different dry ridge systems and some don't have those fillers.

Fine so long as they don't leave openings for the local wildlife. Please link to one that is suitable for a double roman tiled roof that the OP has..

Blagard and Catlad

Thanks for your replies/advice, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back