Roof Ridge Tiles Re-bedded - aesthetic impact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We're currently prepping our house for sale. We had a roof inspection and were told that the following work was required (listing the most relevant to the image i attach)

1. Remove then Re bed all loose ridge tiles on main roof where needed using a waterproof mix.

2. Dig out and re point ridge tiles where needed on main roof

3. Fill in and point defective verge as needed in a waterproof mix.
We were away whilst the work was undertaken and only saw the finished result during daylight hours today. Edit: image here:

https://imgur.com/a/Pa3LnXI

I may be being naive, but i wasn't expecting this level of cosmetic impact at the front of the property. My concern is more with the amount of, and contrasting colour of the mortar, rather than it not being continuous along the length of the ridge.

Based on the work listed above, would you expect it to look like this given the type of house and construction of the roof. Is there anything that can be done subsequently to lessen the impact, or is this an unavoidable situation? Is it reasonable to have expected a darker/dyed mortar to have been used (even if not specified, or spoken about when quoting?)

I ask for advice as both my wife and I are not the most practical or clued up when it comes to home improvements and i don't want to start causing issues with the roofer if it transpires this finish is unavoidable, given the works done.

Any opinions and or suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't blame you being disappointed..
Firstly I never agree to re pointing any ridge.
However in your case what is done is done. They could have added a mortar dye to colour it down to near match.. (can be tricky)
or at least done the remaining three . I would suggest speaking to them about matching the three to the others. prior to payment they are likely to be keen to keep you happy....

Last edited:
I wouldn't leave three ridge tiles out because it now
looks a mess and catches the eye!
Which is not what you want when trying to sell your
property.

Sponsored Links
As the others have said re: the odd 3 .....And get a bottle of Liquid Weather ( Amazon c. £18 ) have that sprayed on the new cement - Sounds odd but I used it to dull down 1980's bricks to nearly match 1920's bricks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back