Roof sagging with velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I could get your opinions on a roof belonging to a house I have recently viewed.

Basically the house is a semi that's had the loft converted into a bedroom (see the 3 velux windows in the roof). My concern is that from inside it looks like the windows sag slightly toward the centre of the bottom two windows, and there was a bit of water damage/tide mark in the central corner on each of the bottom two windows... It was clearly the room their child lives in so I don't know if this was just from them leaving the window open in the rain and it following the sag to the nearest opening, or something more sinister?

I did ask about building regulations and was told that everything was above board. Obviously I'd check this with the solicitor but you never know!

I was told that the owners late father was a joiner and that's what has me thinking that this could be something that their father just "did" and might not be up to standard/in line with regulations.

The picture of the garage is included as it could be related, if indeed the father did that roof too!

Could I get your thoughts please?

Pictures below:

https://ibb.co/YT6j0jR
https://ibb.co/TMxzBx0
https://ibb.co/PDwnp2c

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Does the conversion have Building Regulations approval and Planning Permission?

Does it have a staircase?

Thanks for the reply. I did ask the question to the agent who informed me that they were "sure it was all above board"... Obviously I wouldn't rely on that and would ask for the appropriate certifications. However it does still worry me a bit to my unskilled eye that it does look to be sagging.

I was curious to see if anyone else had come across a similar thing/sag with any velux or roofs they've worked on, and if so if it's common or potentially something more serious?

Thanks

Maybe a photographic distortion, but the leftmost window does look as if it sags on the right, towards the other two windows - right where the roof support would be weakest. Likewise the right window appears to sag on the left. Could you check them with a level perhaps?

What concerns me, is there will only be maybe two full length roof trusses in the area of the windows, due to that smaller middle window further up the roof.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a photographic distortion, but the leftmost window does look as if it sags on the right, towards the other two windows - right where the roof support would be weakest. Likewise the right window appears to sag on the left. Could you check them with a level perhaps?

What concerns me, is there will only be maybe two full length roof trusses in the area of the windows, due to that smaller middle window further up the roof.
Yes you're right, that's what I saw from the inside (apologies but no picture of the inside) both of those bottom windows appear to sag toward each other. Having thought about it, I did think it was an odd at the time to have the combination of 3 windows so close to each other, and you raise a good point about the small number of supporting trusses....

You're right and I will take a spirit level to the next viewing for clarification but I'm pretty adamant that it is sagging.

Is it something that could potentially be dangerous, or just unsightly?

Thanks

Does the conversion have Building Regulations approval and Planning Permission?

Does it have a staircase?

If it doesn't have approval, you must assume that it doesn't conform.

It will cost more to rip it out and do it properly that it would have done to start with an unmolested house, so price it like a house without a loft conversion, and with however many bedrooms it used to have.

Yes you're right, that's what I saw from the inside (apologies but no picture of the inside) both of those bottom windows appear to sag toward each other. Having thought about it, I did think it was an odd at the time to have the combination of 3 windows so close to each other, and you raise a good point about the small number of supporting trusses....

You're right and I will take a spirit level to the next viewing for clarification but I'm pretty adamant that it is sagging.

Is it something that could potentially be dangerous, or just unsightly?

Thanks

It could potentially be dangerous, if it has not been done right. The layout not only needs to allow for the static roof loading, but that of wind and snow loading. It might have BC approval for the two lower windows, but possibly not for the smaller one which seems to be the cause of the problem.

A quick guess/suggestion... the rafters should be doubled-up at the sides of the velux, due to the spacing, it looks like there is probably only one rafter either side of the small velux, so the two bottom windows are also anchored on the same rafter... perhaps the small window could be removed and additional rafter/bracing reinstated... (a guess!)

Either way, it's a faff!

Also consider - if that has not been done right - what else has not been done right in that loft conversion and elsewhere.

the trimming rafters ann the trimmers should be doubled around roof openings.

regs require a safe access position for a fireservice ladder directly below an in-line with any roof escape opening.

OP,i dont understand - you seem to be showin two different garages an two different houses?

if the house suits you then none of the above is a big deal.
if its allowed, the safety isue maybe could be solved by a dormer on the front slope or a loft exit through the gable?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back