Roof space / crawl space door ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks how's things.

Im after a bit of advice regarding these little roof space / crawl space doors around my house, I'm not too sure what their actually called.

My house is a chalet bungalow so we have 1 of these in the upstairs cupboard and 1 in each bedroom. Inside they are leading to a small crawl space where I can see the roofing felt, the floors are insulated here only, not sure if the rafters should be insulated too?

These are quite old and don't seal very well they are just screwed in place, my problem is they look horrible and let cold air in from the outside, I feel like it's really affecting the heat of our house, if I open it I can feel ice cold air from the 1 in the hall and my sons room.

I've tried to put draft blocker stuff around them and screw tighter to the wall which has helped a bit but just not practical, I'd like to change the doors altogether but not sure what I could make personally with my limited DIY skills that would make it air tight also.

I think I've seen online of some people changing these into secret hideaways for their kids with insulation and plastered ect but think it'd be major work.

Anyways would anyone have any decent ideas on what to do with them? I have 1 picture which isn't the best but there's a bunch of junk in front of it lol and as always thanks for the help again always appreciated this forum is excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_170255.jpg
    IMG_20220123_170255.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20220123_170419.jpg
    IMG_20220123_170419.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Cut a sheet of foiled Ecotherm/Celotex/Kingspan insulation to fit. Put string through it to use as a handle. Place it behind the door and pull it towards you so it's snug. Replace the door. Give the door a wash.

Cut a sheet of foiled Ecotherm/Celotex/Kingspan insulation to fit. Put string through it to use as a handle. Place it behind the door and pull it towards you so it's snug. Replace the door. Give the door a wash.

Thanks for your comment I will do exactly this.

Have you got any suggestions on simply installing new doors that look a bit more modern? I know these aren't really seen by anyone other than me and the Mrs but it's something I'd like to do regardless

Only thing I can think off is to remove the architrave and make new doors or modify the ones you have.
Add flush handles that disappear into the surface and paint the whole door/ wall area to match.
If the doors are actually not hinged then you could fix the kings span to the rear surface so it’s a plug.
Box the opening so there is a rebate and it would stop draughts

Sponsored Links
We don't know what you use the space for so it's hard to know what to suggest.

Painting it with the same paint as the walls would blend it in.
Adding simple shelves, with alcove brackets on the side walls would still give you access when needed and mostly cover the door. If you kept books on them it would insulate the wall even more. And books are a good sound insulator aswell.

actually, removing the architrave and keeping it, you could build a ply "bookcase" 150mm deep to exactly fit the gap.
Whack the old architrave back on, insulate the back, and you have a plug to fit the hole.
As said, the books add insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back