Roof Spread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

New to the forum, and I'm sure this had probably been asked but couldn't find anything... :s

Anyway.. to the piont. We moved into our house almost 2 years ago now after having a 'home buyers guide' survey. (We had this done due to seeing a couple of cracks or/and brick movement in some outside walls) But it didn't come up with any 'STRUCTURAL' problems and the gas & electrics checked out ok.. so ahead we went and brought the house... a 1952 ex council.

The cracks on a wall between a flat roof domer and external wall. It goes right through!! We racked it out back when we moved in and refilled it (as a BAD job had been done before)...

About a year later it has recracked and I had another surveyor in and he has said these cracks are due to 'roof spread' and you can see the walls bowing.. so we now need to have the roof stablised...

The SE has said we can do it one of two ways... 1) ties at the eaves level or 2) a beam & collars system (so we don't lose storage).

Questions:

1) Anyone had this done? I don't think this is covered by insurance and we have other costly costs to pay (central heating).... *gulps* Does anyone know how much this could cost at all?

2) Do we have a good cause to go back to the surveyor and moan? I think the first surveyor should have picked this up.. Even though the house was decorated both cracks were visable through the wall paper.

Thanks peeps.

Sponsored Links
Whether you have a claim against the original surveyor depends on what was noted in the report, if the survey for which you paid was expected to discover such problems, and if the problem existed at the tim of the survey.

With regards to the repair, you are only looking at some 4 or 5x2 fixed to the existing rafters with bolts and timber connectors. Or some purlins and posts

Any easy DIY job, if a little awkward

I was wondering if someone had done a loft conversion, and sawn through a few timbers that were in the way.

- Woody - Not interested in claiming as probably not worth it.. just was thinking of writing a letter of complaint. The problems did indeed existing on the day of survey (which as i said is why we had the survey). The survey was meant to pick up 'structural' problems without being invasive.

- JohnD - No I don't think they have tried to convert it. I've had a look and intact, no cut or missing timbers I can see.

Oh dear... some real DIY stuff then!? I just wonder HOW i'll be able to get the wood UP in the loft... ;)
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the loft timbers?

We like pictures :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back