Roof tile vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these roof tiles made by Marley

RoofTiles.jpg

It seems the best way to duct the cooker hood out is through the roof. The hood is not mounted on an external wall and I don't think the wall-hung tiles would be easy to go through (straight up through the roof is an easier less bendy route anyway).

Which type of Marley tile do you think these are? They look most like Bold Roll from the current catalogue. The house was built in 1977 but this actual design wouldn't have been discontinued?

Marley themselves do the Marvent terminal (this has least resistance from their range) and Klober do the TopVent. Both are available with 150mm adaptors for the recommended hood ducting size.

Any overall preference between the two brands? I know my local Asphaltic do both ranges but any other retailers that offer good value for either of these ranges?

Thanks,

James

PS One other thing, does anyone know the proper name (if there is one) for this style of house with the tiles covering the first floor walls? It also has white-painted brick to the ground floor. The same sort of style as Victor Meldrew's house in all but the first series of One Foot in the Grave :D .

Sponsored Links
They`re bold roll ;) Tilehanging the first floor is Sussex Style- are you in Sussex :?: and go for the Marley vent.

Thanks for that. Not quite Sussex, I'm in suburban south London :LOL:. Explains why the style is relatively more common in the south-east though.

Look on the back of the tile, it should have a part number, contact Marley and they will be able to tell you.

Sponsored Links
The best advice is probably going to be contact Marley, which I'll do tomorrow, but any extra opinion here first may be of help.

A roofer told me that I can't use the tile vent because I will have imperial tiles and newer tiles are in metric sizes. There is supposedly enough of a variation in size for the thing to not fit, blow about and leak. What's more, he was convinced they couldn't be used for mechanical ventilation. Obviously he hasn't been reading the Marley catalogues :eek: :
http://www.marleyroofing.co.uk/components/470.pdf (2.3MB file!)

The cover width of the current Bold Roll range is 300mm. I have measured my roof tiles and they appear to have the same dimensions and not 12 inches. A neighbouring identically built house does have what looks like an identical vent in place.

I've done Google searches and searches of DIY sites like this and while there is some acknowledgement of an imperial to metric changeover, there is minimal detail at all, with never a mention of imperial/metric when discussing these vents.

Am I likely to run into trouble using these? Could metric tiles have been used as early as 1977? Or, more likely, is it very down to the individual situation?

Did roof tile manufacturers really change the size of all their tiles? Or, for example the Marley Anglia Plus, change from a stated 8-inch cover to 204mm and leave the size alone (meaning Bold Roll either did change over or was metric all along).

Thanks,

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back