Roof tiles too short. rain dripping down back of gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm a newbie here. This site looks great.

My problem is that I had some new PVC Guttering & PVC Fascia board fitted about three years ago. In places, the roof tiles barely reach over the guttering.
We did fit a strip of damp proof to help direct the water, but this has long since blown off & now we're getting a damp patch about 4ft wide down the exterior wall.
It has been suggested that the bottom row of tiles can be pulled further forward over the gutter & siliconed to the other tiles, or some more damp proof strip fitted more securely

Would this be a satisfactory solution :?:

Thanks in advance for your help :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that quick reply alastairreid.
Which one of those would you recommend for my situation :?:

i would go for the 600mm fascia trays.

push up the bottom course of tiles, fit the bottom edge of the tray over the top of your upvc fascia boards, the lip should project into your gutters, and the tray runs up the roof.
overlap the trays as you go approx 75mm, and tack down onto rafters at the top of the trays.
then pull your tiles back down into position.

the installers of your new facings and gutters should have picked up on this anyway.
:(

good luck.

Sponsored Links
A friend & I installed them so ignorance played a part here.
I guess that's why we used the Damp Course membrane, but there's nowhere to attach that.

Should I just be able to push up my 1st course of tiles without removing any nails :?:

Should I just be able to push up my 1st course of tiles without removing any nails :?:

Not if the roof tiles have been laid correctly you shouldn't. You may have to push up the second or even third course and de nail the bottom courses.

Sound to me like the initial pvc fascia installation is to blame here. They must have installed it over the existing timber fascia which has extended it beyond the drip of the first tile. I'd get he installer back to sort it out. [easy said I know]

If you want a proper long lasting solution I'd suggest starting again and removing the timber fascia and fixing the pvc directly to the spar feet.

Should I just be able to push up my 1st course of tiles without removing any nails icon_question.gif

depends how they have been fixed, i can normaly move the eaves course up without any great problems.
if they have been head nailed then a good thump with the palm of your hand should dislodge the nail.
if clipped jerk the tail of the tile up and this will dislodge the clip.

i wouldnt go to the trouble and expense of removing all your upvc facings and gutters.
i dont think the fitting contractor would come back to rectify after 3yrs.

Myself & a mate fitted the gutters. The old wooden ones were supported by metal spikes/brackets which we removed before screwing the PVC fascia board to the wall, followed by the guttering.
Those Eaves trays look like they'd cure the problem.
I just need to find the best way to fit them without having to remove loads of tiles.

Myself & a mate fitted the gutters.

Sorry i didnt notice your previous post.

no matter...........what kind of tiles are on your roof?.........i should have asked you that before now :oops:

Myself & a mate fitted the gutters. The old wooden ones were supported by metal spikes/brackets which we removed before screwing the PVC fascia board to the wall, followed by the guttering.
Those Eaves trays look like they'd cure the problem.
I just need to find the best way to fit them without having to remove loads of tiles.

Take the guttering and brackets off so you can point the eaves trays at the same angle as the roof. Carefully slice the tray under the existing felt and then push it upwards.

Thats the quick way to do it, but to do it properly you should remove the bottom course of tiles. Its up to you! :D

i was thinking of suggesting that mw roofline, in theory it should work, in practise never does........and the poor bloke would end up with a box of bent ripped, bashed up eave trays. :cry: :LOL:

Whilst felt support trays are not the correct method for carrying water into the gutter, they will give a sound enough solution for you.

For the amount of time it will take to push/take off the 1st course of tiles, i would reccomend that over trying to slide the trays under, like alastair says you will end up damaging more than you use which will cost you more when you have to buy an extra box of trays.

Plus im guessing depending on the age of your roof either the 1st course or 2nd course will be unnailed, so just push that course up and go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back