Roof timber, white powder?

nearly all builders merchants will sell the round soffit vents you won't have to comply anyway but the requirements for a new build would be 25mm continuous vent allong the whole soffit or equivilant.
Works out at 1 in every gap between rafters roughly. but as you are only trying to ventilate your roof space and not a void behind insulation I would remove the bricks as you suggested probably in every other gap and fit a vent to those gaps at the soffit

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

I'll get some soffit vents and remove the bricks and then get roof vents.

andy

Sorry to be coming back to such an old post. I've also recently found a white powder on beams in my attic, mainly in slight cracks in the wood and on joins (see pictures). It is very soft, dusts off easily, and only affects old beams (from ~1930 I guess) not new ones (had an extension built a couple of years back). The timber feels bone dry.

Any diagnoses as to what this could be, whether I need to worry about it, and if yes how best to get rid of the stuff?

Many thanks in advance. Apologies if I've missed a previous answer which already addresses this question.

Sponsored Links
aaahhh yes nearly 20 years on i am sure things have moved on indeed i am now possibly senile rather than informed:giggle:

I shouldn’t think he’s bothered he posted that in 2004!
Maybe, but to be honest I didn't post that comment directed at Masona but merely to let anyone else reading the comment, in case they were worried after reading Masona's reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back