Roof Truss Question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way to check the pitch of the trusses on my existing roof so that when i order the trusses for my extension they are the same pitch?

Sponsored Links
Or you can measure the height and half the width, from which you can work out the hypotenuse and the angle, or let the truss manufacturers do it.

used the angle finder on my HTC.hope that works,its showing 32 degrees.

Sponsored Links
used the angle finder on my HTC.hope that works,its showing 32 degrees.

Use the HTC to measure a known angle, before you rely on it.

I've got an HTC desire, and used it to measure my Rafters. They came in at 35 degrees.

Smart phones are great, but make sure you understand the callibration. I trusted the phone GPS with Endomondo to measure the distance I ran, training for the London Marathon - and it turned out to be over reading by 10%........... So I hadn't run as far in training as I had thought.

Measure some flat and vertical things with it to see if it gives you 0 and 90 degrees respectively.

Cheers
Gary

The problem with a phone or anything that small, is that you are are only measuring a 100mm section of timber which could be bowed or twisted and could easily be 5 degrees out on the measured part of the rafter

For what it's worth: mark 12" on the top of a level
set the level against the under edge of any common rafter.
measure up to the rafter bottom edge from the 12" mark on the top of the level, say 8".
you now have the unit base and rise, convert in trig.ie 8/12 = 33.75degrees.
You can also, if you have a side elev. view of the roofline from the ground, hold up a level ( eyeballed ) framing square and measure 12" from the roof slope towards the centre to the roof, on 12" measure up, say, 8" and once again you have your unit triangle - the slope/pitch being your hypotenuse.

Both simple methods to use but weird to explain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back