Roof Truss too short help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am converting the area above my garage to habitual space by changing the roof. I made a mistake in ordering the roof trusses they are too small - since its my mistake I don't want to pay for a second set. I've seen you can add 'scabs' to lengthen them. is it Ok just to nail or coach bolt some extra timber to them or will my building inspector need to see calculations - I'm increasing the span from 1.8m to 2.8m.

Thanks for any advice and support

Sponsored Links
Add scabs?

Lol, just sling them and then ask for the truss company surveyor to come out and measure. A metre short means they are useless, surely.

You can't add scabs to lengthen them without invalidating the design.
Your BCO would most likely not accept them.
Bite the bullet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, thought adding scabs was a bit dodgy but I've already spent £1200 on the shore truss and it's another £1600 for the right ones. Just trying to save some money. I I tandem garage door I need 21 of them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back