Roof trusses, bracing, regs, plumb, bowrd

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Just looking online about bowed and out of plumb trusses. Am I ready this right it's saying a roof truss can be 2 inch out if plumb and it'll still be acceptable. I can't fantom a truss being out by so much. Maybe half inch max at a guess but 50mm, surely there will be issues if it's out by that much. Maybe I'm wrong and if so, what is this 50mm out of plumb below in pic.

Below is what I understand the terms are but not familiar with Rak/b .Is there any PDF files with the truss bracing regs. Have installed many sissor trusses, attic trusses but not familiar with raised tie and it's bracing :(

Chv/b = Chevron bracing
Rak/b = ?
L/b= ? Left bracing
R/b =? Right bracing

Screenshot_20190413-210043.png
Screenshot_20190413-205908.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Roof trusses are rarely straight, rarely identical and rarely behave themselves (especially the flimsy fellas). There is a built in tolerance buffer which allows OCD people like me a breather when dealing with roof trusses. Once you cut through the steel banding holding them together, all hell brakes loose.

Roof trusses are rarely straight, rarely identical and rarely behave themselves (especially the flimsy fellas). There is a built in tolerance buffer which allows OCD people like me a breather when dealing with roof trusses. Once you cut through the steel banding holding them together, all hell brakes loose.

I hear ya. I've installed a few trusses in my time and know what happens when one cuts the plastic strapping lol. Very flimbsy indeed.

So when installed, if the trusses are out of plumb 50mm from top to bottom then this is acceptable. Will this not put more extra tension on the bracing band walls/wall plate.

See OP, edited it with bracing terms. Do you know any PDF files for all regs on them. I'm very familiar with sissor trusses and attic, but not raised tie. I've a diagram I'm struggling with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back