Roof Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

All the time we've lived in our bungalow (6 years) we've had a minor issue with condensation in our loft. I say minor, because until now it hasn't really caused us a problem.

So every winter, condensation forms on the inside of our roofing felt, and then drips onto the insulation. It's never been enough to soak the insulation or come through onto the ceilings. But if you go into the loft, there will be odd patches of damp insulation, and you can see condensation droplets on the high level parts of the roof.

We've never used the loft for storage bar a few boxes, but we've now got a load of baby stuff up there, and I noticed at the weekend that some of this is going mouldy.

So clearly we need to think about ventilating our roof. There is nothing in place at present. The bungalow was built in 1981 and has a tiled roof.

I was planning to fit some 70mm round vents in the soffits, one between each rafter. However, presumably I'm going to need some high level ventilation to act as an exhaust. Or will the vents down the other side of the bungalow act as an exhaust? We live in an isolated area flat area with fields front and back, so the wind can get very strong.

What is the best option for retrofit exhaust vents? DIY if possible. My concern is that our felt, although intact, is quite brittle. I want to resolve this but not at the expense of ruining our felt / creating a leak!

We're already well ventilated within the house with extractors in the kitchen and bathroom. We dry washing in one room but always with a dehumidifier running - we've got no issues with mould within the bungalow.

All advice welcome :)

Leccy.

Sponsored Links
Just stumbled across Manthorpe Lap Vents - do you think a row of these down each side of the bungalow would do the trick and eliminate the need for unsightly soffit vents?

I was planning to fit some 70mm round vents in the soffits, one between each rafter. The vents down the other side of the bungalow will act as an exhaust
You see within your post was the answer. Job done.

LOL! I was posing it as a question as I wasn't sure that would be the case given that they would both be low level and wondered whether I needed something higher up to allow the air to circulate more freely, given the condensation is at the top of the roof? Would certainly suit me if low level ventilation down either side would work, if you think that is the case?

Sponsored Links
if your roof is formed of trusses and has no ridge board low level only may be ok, but normally high level venting is specified.

The lap vents are the simplest to fit. If you stick your fingers in one of the felt laps and it feels draughty then I would try those first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back