Will Roof Tile Vents Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My dad's bungalow, built post war, is solid brick, no cavity and has a pitched tiled roof, there is also no ventilation in the soffits. In the summer, the bungalow is very hot and you really don't want to go into the loft.

We are going to have a PIV ventilation unit installed as the bungalow has now started experiencing some condensation issues in the winter. Looking at the instruction manual, the roof needs to be ventilated. I can get this done by having a few tiles swapped out for vented tiles.

My question is will these vented tiles also help the roof lose some of the excess heat in the summer. My poor dad has to have lots of windows opened and the back door just to let the heat out/get some air flow etc.

Sponsored Links
I cant answer the vented tiles question but can comment on the PIV system as that's what I have in my new build and they automatically switch off when the loft temperature rises to a certain amount. Just something to be aware off that they wont run 24/7.

So they don't run in summer and then in winter they do blow freezing cold air into the house as well, again something to be aware off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back