roof vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just looking for info about fitting roof vents.

The roofspace of our bungalow was completely sealed by the previous owner, with no air movement whatsoever. This has resulted in condensation in winter, and excessive heat in summer.

Last summer I fitted soffit vents, which appear to have addressed the condensation issue, but I now need to fit vents to deal with the heat.

My tiles are Redland Stonewold 2 and I've identified a supplier of the correct roof vents. However, I'm unsure about the fitting procedure, having not found a video specific to this tile on Youtube.

If anyone can post a link to a video of the installation procedure or provide a clear step by step guide to fitting, I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
I know how to lift the surrounding tiles; done this a couple of times when replacing broken ones. I've seen videos for other types of vent where the felt is cut into and a spigot inserted through the hole to allow the air to move from within the roof space through the vent to outside air.

I just need to know how to work out where to cut the hole in the felt without compromising the watertightness of the roof.

Almost all the comment and information I've come across so far indicates that the temperature of the roof space WILL be reduced by the fitting of high level roof vents. Even if only by a couple of degrees, its worth a go.

I just need to know how to fit the unit without compromising the roof.

Sponsored Links
Message received and understood.

I'll put the money towards a roof space sauna instead.

Same as a greenhouse, open plenty of Windows and it's still hot.

Fair enough.

If, in conjunction with soffit vents, a roof vent could feasibly fulfil the function of addressing roof space condensation in winter, would that make enough sense for someone to tell me how to do it?

I couldnt even get vent tiles for my roof, so I've fitted a load of these, and the condensation is gone. I've fitted them at low level as recommended, with only a few up high.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MA76T9W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some on here suggest cutting 6inch lengths of pipe lagging and pocking them between the felt laps, but I was feeling push so went with the things linked above.

Also a bungalow, 10m x 9m square and a 50 pack seems to be right for the job.

Many thanks.

The dozen or so soffit vents that I fitted last summer did seem to make a difference to the degree of condensation in the roofspace, though there was one day when it was still evident. Its probably at a manageable level if it remains as it was during this last winter.

I thought that maybe a roof vent expelling warmer air from the upper roof space and drawing cool air from the soffit vents might help to lower the temperature in the summer, as well as eliminating condensation altogether in the winter, but apparently not.

Many thanks.

The dozen or so soffit vents that I fitted last summer did seem to make a difference to the degree of condensation in the roofspace, though there was one day when it was still evident. Its probably at a manageable level if it remains as it was during this last winter.

I thought that maybe a roof vent expelling warmer air from the upper roof space and drawing cool air from the soffit vents might help to lower the temperature in the summer, as well as eliminating condensation altogether in the winter, but apparently not.

I don't think soffit vents are that effective, and can easily end up with insulation blocking their path to flow air into the loft. Venting between the felt laps seems to work well for me!

I don't think soffit vents are that effective, and can easily end up with insulation blocking their path to flow air into the loft. Venting between the felt laps seems to work well for me!

I've no doubt that you're right, and that soffit vents have to be monitored as the insulation can easily move and block the passage of air. However, I do monitor them and will move any insulation aside if and when necessary.

Nevertheless, I'll bear your recommendation of felt laps in mind.:cool:

I've had a good look across the web and admittedly there are many recommendations for lap vents as a cheap and effective DIY solution to condensation.

There are some cautionary words about their installation potentially increasing wind load as well as rain ingress, which would have to be borne in mind, but they can be removed as easily as they are fitted.

Best thing is, no need to break into the external roof surface to fit them, and they're cheap.

Reckon I'll definitely give those a go, and thanks again.

I've come from almost the same situation as you - bungalow with a sealed loft. Vermiculite insulation topped up with 100mm rockwool.

I knew I needed to deal with it but always had something else that needed doing more, until I got a damp patch come through the ceiling below a loft flooring board.

I asked on here, as I knew soffit vents were going to be a pain, and was advised on the felt ventilators. For me, they definitely work.

We are detached, so I had all 4 sides to do. I fitted a higher density of vents on the SW and NE corners, as the wind tends to blow from the SW.

No issue with rain ingress... the laps are reasonable on my roof. Just fit them carefully - I used a metal spreading blade to make sure the felt wasn't stuck to the next section, then put the vent in flat, then tipped it up and slid it right in, making sure the clips engaged.

Total job time - 1.5hrs :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back