roof verge and undercloak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20 year old house. I noticed that there are 2 vertical thin cracks in the mortar of the roof verge, near the top. Also, at the lowest end of the verge (where the slope finishes and the verge becomes flat) there is no undercloak beneath the mortar. The mortar just sits directly on the soffit (fascia). The overall verge looks fine otherwise.

Are these quite common and normal (wear and tear)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A photo would help. Simply filling the cracks and gaps with polyurethane caulk might do the trick.
A modern wet verge without an undercloak is unusual.

A modern wet verge without an undercloak is unusual.
Perhaps it fell off after the mortar had set. It's the piece of cloak that always gets caught on your trousers when squeezing past on a busy scaffold. I've lost count of the times I've had to re-fix this bit.

thanks for your reply. In that case the cloak has been missing for many years! I mean what is the undercloak for in the first place? I suppose it cannot support the mortar as it is overhang out of the wall for about 5cm?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back