Roof Verge Pointing and Mortar Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed last night that a section of the verge has fallen out - it was loose a few weeks ago when I was installing satellite cables. I have read that lime should be added to the mortar mix. Is this right?

I had some of the verges re-pointed under NHBC warranty earlier this year but this warranty has now expired. Obviously an area missed as access is a little awkward. I notice that the mortar that came out is quite dark. Do they use a dye in the mix?

I am capable of re-pointing the area (probably about 6" in length) but I would appreciate any advice and tips.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Lime is used as an 'admix' to improve the mortar, its not a must have, Its about choice, makes the mortar 'creamy' or use when you get ordinary portland cement and not one with additives already in it, Mastercrete to name one, with stuff already in it that is..

Dye is used, sometimes, on roof mixes to blend it in with the roof tiles.

Dont put too much water in or it will sag, if you have the time and are not too worried I'd fill to just shy of undercloak/tile, say 10mm, key it when stiff and then apply a second top coat the next day.

Building sand is too soft and wont last. Don't use lime

Use a Building sand/sharp sand/ cement mix - 3:1:1, and quite dry

And you really want to take off the tiles and bed them on rather than just shoving the mortar into the verge

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about using dry verge caps. they are plastic and cover up where the pointing goes, so you don't ever have to bother pointing again.
I got mine online, it is a bit bigger a job, but they look good and I won't have to do it again.
You can get them loads of places, I bought mine online www.gbplastics.co.uk but most builders merchants sell them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back