Roof Without Felt! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a big problem. I have a roof without felt underneath so everytime it rains, water comes through the terrorcotta tiles (yes, TERRORcotta because they absorb water!) and as there is no felt underneath the battens, the water ends up all over the floor in the attic.

See picture (sorry it's poor quality, very dark up there):

View media item 35860
As the roof is very big, I'm hoping for an easy way to fix instead of removing the tiles, battens, laying sheets of felt, putting everything back again. I've been thinking of putting felt underneath the rafters but of course this won't work as the water will just rot them over time.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
There is no fix apart from new tiles or stripping off and adding an underlay, you know it in your heart don't you? There are countless roofs around the globe with no underlay but they do not leak unless the tiles have failed.

Unfortunately, I do know it in my heart :( But I'm still keeping my options open such as felting under the rafters and then adding additional rafters between the existing ones provided there is enough space to squeeze them in. That way, the roof would be reinforced and the tiles can stay where they are. But at the moment, I'd have to check that I'd be able to do that.

You sure the tiles are absorbing water? not condensation.

Sponsored Links
You sure the tiles are absorbing water? not condensation.

Definitely absorbing water, as this only happens when it rains and even when it's only light rain. When it's heavy, it pours in like the titanic going down. Just don't know what to do. Was really wishing for a short-cut to avoid costly and laborious work. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know asap. Would really appreciate it as I have to make a decision over the next week or so.
Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back