Roofing a lean to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Hopefully a fairly easy build here but I just wanted to get some advice on the best options for roofing! Flashing and pitch are my main queries but I am open to opinions on the whole build!

I currently have a single story workshop at the side of the house, it doesn’t come all the way to the back of the house leaving a small 3 sided patio area (workshop, fence, house) that I currently use when I’m cutting metal or making mess that I’d rather not coat the workshop with when possible! A diagram at this point is probably required to give some context here!
174146-c2fefc996bc366e34efa19edf7c891f2.jpg

Essentially, I want to cover this area for a little extra storage for bikes and a dry spot to work. It doesn’t have to be waterproof but I do plan to flash the roofing structure to the wall of the house and the roof of the workshop (the workshop has a ~100mm thick concrete poured roof). For this I expect to use flashband or similar, I am aware this isn’t a perfect solution but it avoids having to chase lead flashing in to the brickwork of the house and the roof structure of the workshop. Since this isn’t a fully water resistant type structure I think this is adequate for this (though I am open to other suggestions!). Another potential at the workshop end is to try and lift the roof covering (I think this is a rubber type flat roof covering) and use this to do the job of ‘flashing’ by tucking the new roofing under this.

I will be leaving the existing fence as it is, which will allow for a fair amount of air to escape should the wind pickup, which should avoid lifting the roof off! I will use an existing concrete fence post and strap a 4*4 post to this to give me a leg in that corner, the rest of the structure I hope to support using beams from the house wall and the workshop wall. I am fairly confident about doing the framing and have a friend to help who has recently completed a similar structure (though freestanding so no need to flash/follow existing rooflines).

Roofing wise, I like the look (and price) of the bitumen type sheeting. I think this comes in a couple of thicknesses depending on supplier so I will try and find the thicker of these. This seems like a nice option visually and I could use a single panel of the corrugated clear plastic to form a window. I expect that unless I can find sections longer than 2m I may need to overlap these.

I would love to hear ideas on how to pitch the roof and deal with the resulting water. My current plan is to promote water to flow toward the bottom edge of my diagram with the new roof at the workshop side elevated to provide this pitch, I could use a guttering at the end in to either the existing gutters or in to a water butt. A slight upturn on the roof (I am thinking bending up 1-2 corrugations) on the house side would promote the water to flow downwards and provide something to flash up to. This is at 90degree to the proposed gutter so I could easily imagine this working with the corrugations, however, I am less sure what to do at the fenced side!?

Any advice is very appreciated, thanks all.

Sponsored Links
I found bitumen roofing to get water logged and collapse thru rafters , only remedy was sheet ply under it kept it in place .

I found bitumen roofing to get water logged and collapse thru rafters , only remedy was sheet ply under it kept it in place .

Thanks for the input, a friend has a bitumen roof setup and seems to be getting on OK (5 years). I had a look for inspiration this weekend and the rafters were quite closely spaced so I guess that helps

Sponsored Links
Corrugated sheets are OK as long as you fit enough supports between the rafters. Flash with self adhesive lead-replacement flashing (not flashband) or lead and filler pieces.

Use a gutter or large overhang to cast the rainwater off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back