Roofing cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a big shot in the dark given the variables. But what ballpark costing could anyone give pre-estimate to a mid terrace straightforward pitched roof. Is it usual to replace timbers ? As the house is 1930's I am sure that this will need to be done also same time ? I would like to make this an extra room which would mean strengthening etc. are there regs regarding access/stairs etc. ?

Sponsored Links
bit hard to give a price without knowing what tiles are on the roof.
Would be usual to remove all tiles remove any felt and battens(not roof rafters)refit and then probably reuse tiles where possible.
With regards to converting your loft there are regs concerning those things and also virtually every other part of the construction your best bet is to speak to an architect.

most likely the timbers will be sound ...Is this a tiled or slate roof?
If tiles then it is likely to be clay plain tiles, which if they are in good condition can be re used and laid to new battens and slaters felt. if the face of the tile is good but when you lift it from the roof the backs fall away or are crumbly then it is perished beyond use and should be skipped.
If the tile is sound and does not disintegrate in your hands there is plenty of life left in it if you ree roof allowing for some good through roof ventillation. One option would be to sell on the plane tiles as they fetch a princely sum, and would cover the cost of buying in some concrete tiles which would also cut down on labour but I am averse to offering this way foward as it would compromise the aesthetics of what is prrobably a lovely roof or at least will be if properly reinstated. May be a very good idea to introduce an additional purlin to either side built into the party walls as the teraced houses used only 4x2 as a rule for rafters which tend to sag over the years. As for loft conversions there are many many rules and regs to abide by .... if you have the room, build an extension for the money you would spend to comply with the regs its a false economy and you would get more value and space from an extension.

Thanks for your reply, I definitely will have a roofer have a look. It may be that I could get away with some repairs. The details are that I have been in my terraced house for ten years, as far as I can make out the roof was replaced after the 87 storms. There is some sag in the purlins?? (cross members) but other than that the timbers seem to be sound enough. We have some issues regarding staining on a 2 bedroom ceilings one is where the ceiling meets the chimney breast, and another - only above the box room window there is like a built up wall (don't know the correct term) like an extra bit taller than the eaves and the eaves meet behind it. Ther are obviously some flashing repairs to be done here. I am really concerned whether to completely renew the roof is overkill and i would be throwing money at something which does not need such drastic action. Perhaps i am just thinking of a new roof for my own peice of mind.

Sponsored Links
what type of tile? modern new ones or smaller orangey red tiles about the size of your hand (planetiles...acmes or dreadnoughts) if it was reroofed in 87 then there should not be a need for re roofing again as the main problem invariably does not lie in the roof material itself but rather what is known as nail fatigue or nail sickness whereby the fixings have perished but the roof covering is still functioning perfectly and can more over usually be re used. Primarily though this occurs with slates though plane tiles too to a lesser degree... sounds to me like defective flashings or soakers, not a major problem.. dont let a roofer cod you into having extensive work done that is not necessary they are all b******s roofers.. (nearly all any way)
O' the storms of 87.... took me around the states for three months courtesy of the generous insurance industry.

My roof is nearly 100 years old. Its never been changed, as a result you can't crawl across the slates anymore, they're too brittle.

Until they start falling off, I'm leaving it as it is.

The tiles are reddish in colour but are very similar to these :-

tiles.jpg

I am still concerned about the timber. Though the timber was renewed n 87 I am not sure about the timbers. Is it usual to renew the timbers in this process aswell the joist are probab;y original but the purlins and crows feet members are more likely not. I would like to have added some velux windows to create a space. Can one still make an additional room without the need for the roof to be touched. My ideas are to get some additional timbers and double up on the rafters and joists in this area.

Can you also take a picture of the internal roof structure ? I maybe able help you what involved, more picture the better !

would agree with legs sounds like a flashing problem especialy around the chimney and raised party wall. the tiles are redland double romans and if replaced in '87 wil not need replaceing now.
It is possible to use the roofspace without touching the roof obviously you will need to add veluxes but these can pretty much be fitted from inside.
Even if you wanted to only use this room for "occasiona"l use and not go down the route of fitting stairs etc you will need to upgrade the joists as I suspect they will be 3x2s and any protracted use will almost certainly resukt in cracking of all your plasterwork on the 1st floor ceiling.
Doubling up the joists with similar timbers will not be sufficient as its the depth of section that needs top be increased.

If the original covering was slate then the use of heavy concrete tiles ,look like a bold roll to me chappers??? .. wiil add extra stress to the rafters and should have had additional purlins inserted to compensate.... those tiles are fine the problems lie elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back