Roofing Felt - Asbestos

D

dave8234

Hi,

Did any old bitumen roofing felts used in residential pitched roofs contain asbestos. I had a look at the old felt we had removed and it's a black tar type felt with what looks like stands of hessian in a criss cross pattern and some sort of paper on the back.

Cheers, Dave

Sponsored Links
Never came across roofing felt with asbestos in it Dave.

Sounds like an earlier 1f type reinforced tar felt.

Yes, they did. The old type 2 felts were Asbestos based until BS regulated and introduced Polyester based type 3. If you're unsure, get them tested.

were the type 2 felts used on pitched roofs? I thought they were for built up roofing?

Sponsored Links
were the type 2 felts used on pitched roofs? I thought they were for built up roofing?

I was wondering if pitched roof felts may be affected too

On all the asbestos courses I've been on, no-one has ever mentioned roof felt - which is a bit alarming

I was wondering if pitched roof felts may be affected too

On all the asbestos courses I've been on, no-one has ever mentioned roof felt - which is a bit alarming

It was used in all type 2 felts. All roofs we strip if suspected they have original coverings are subject to survey. All our lads are advised of need if they strip off one and see remnants of the original under it.

And yes, it is alarming that some asbestos courses don't pick it up, same as Eternits from a certain era.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back