Roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need to insulate my loft and feedback from an earlier posting has put me on track for that. I was up there clearing out this morning and noticed a strong breeze coming thro. In a few places the roofing felt is ripped and i can see thro to roof tile. What's the best product and method to patch this up. Many thanks,
Will

Sponsored Links
Tricky to do, the felt is supposed to direct water into the gutters should it ever get past the tiles. With this in mind any patching will need to maintain the run into the gutter otherwise you might as well keep the holes. To do properly is to remove all the tiles and refelt. ££££'s

To do it cheaply you could use a lightweight felt fixed to the underside of existing, which goes right down to the eaves and out under. To fix, staple to existing battens or fix new 50mm battens up against the side of the rafters (this will also space the insulation away from the felt) But I stress that this is a compromise.

I've just reread and realise that you didn't mention anything about putting insulation in the rafters. In that case just leave as is, a little draught will do no harm. (It will do good)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back