Roofing how to's...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, first post so wanted to say hi!

I have a rather ugly flat roofed detached double garage and I'm planning to convert to a pitched roof. I have planning permission in place and am starting to plan out the project.

Only problem is I'm an electro mechanical engineer so know nothing of roofing! I really want to complete this project DIY with some family members to put our mark on the family home so am looking for advice on how to proceed.

I have decided on a 35 degree roof angle on a standard fink truss type construction on the 5100 x 7200 garage.

Do any of you know of any good 'how to' documents that will give me detailed step by step advice on the build? Is it a simple enough task? Are there any common pitfalls?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I guess you're gonna need to learn bricklaying too then. Have you checked the foundations?

A truss rafter roof is fairly simple to construct (for a roof builder) so should be do-able for a competent DIY'er. Bracing (4" x 1" sawn) is usually explained in the layout drawing provided by the truss company. There will be a bracing run on each of the truss junctions (nodes). We always tackle the diagonal bracing first as this tends to be the trickiest and it must run ALL the way down and fixed to the wall plate.

Plan your loft hatch before ordering the roof if you want it to be larger than the standard spacing.

Don't forget to fix and nogg' all the gable restraint straps prior to building the masonry. You will probably have 2 up each rafter run and say 3 across the joist chords. 14 in total plus your holding down straps on the wall plate to deal with.

As always the small details will be the trickiest. Working out the gable ladder overhang, soffit overhang and generally building things like soffit boxes and working out fascia kick and how to cradle the soffit ply will be the most fun.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back