Roofing in rain

datarebal said "there is no problem". Well there are two glaring problems: one with the roof pic (that you dont seem to understand) & two with what you've written.

How will the felt "hang into the gutter" if its on top of the tray with the tile above and forward?
Felt must be left long over the fascia until your ready to cut it beyond the fascia - even on top of the tray, the felt must discharge any moisture beyond the fascia - thats elementary roofing knowledge.

What your difficulty with the fascia is I dont understand - the in-place fascia is fine.
Leave it to the pros to advise...nonsense post. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
How will the felt "hang into the gutter" if its on top of the tray with the tile above and forward?
Felt must be left long over the fascia until your ready to cut it beyond the fascia - even on top of the tray, the felt must discharge any moisture beyond the fascia - thats elementary roofing knowledge.

What your difficulty with the fascia is I dont understand - the in-place fascia is fine.
Actually the underlay is more than long enough. It's simply sagged behind the fascia . As catlad rightly said , ideally it should have been supported.
So , there's nothing actually wrong with the underlay. It's not felt.
Just looking at the materials used (apart from fascia) i can see they probably know what they are up to.
I'll stand by there is nothing wrong and nothing to worry about . So far.

If they want to tile it in the rain good for them , we do it often.
If you know as much as you make out tel you would know the fascia issue.
Stick to your tacking.

Last edited:
robinbanks,
As best practice its best to fit the trays before the felt - but no matter when you would fit the trays in the OP's pic that felt is too short to do its job.
The felt in your sketch is also too short.

DiyNutJob,
Why building trade insurance? Because your car insurance or your house contents wont cover you.

building trade insurance is a general term for insuring building trade work - eg. no matter what status you might claim in court if you are not insured for building trade work, and/or particular aspects of the work such as working at height or using heat then you are very vulnerable & you will probably take the hit.

Many insurers will wriggle for most all claims - whats new? But the point is to have the specific insurance before starting, you cant risk going bankrupt or losing your house just because you have to deal with wrigglers.

Sponsored Links
Alastairreid,
You say get back under - well I certainly seem to have got under your skin.

I can think of nothing more dubious than your giving dangerous advice to the DIY'ers on here - of course, trolls and drain cleaners have no shame. You really should apologise to the viewers.

datarebal,
Stay with felt the term the OP uses - actually the term is irrelevant - that the the felt is short can be clearly seen, lack of support or longer in parts is also irrelevant to the fact that the felt is short and can be seen to be short.
Stop dodging about simply admit you are wrong.

What, your still babbling on about the fascia - the fascia was fine and still is fine.

Your lack of basic roofing knowledge is astounding.

How come you are posting on here during working hours every working day if you are a working roofer?

Notch7,
You claim that: "He's a man of very few words" - well if thats how you see him its because he's got nothing to say.

building trade insurance is a general term for insuring building trade work
So, if I climb a ladder, I need building trade insurance? I still don't understand falling off ladder and then lose house. How does that happen?

Last edited:
OMG, OMG the fool has just shot himself in both feet - judging by your posts I think that you would need insurance if you tied your shoe laces. So, Yes Yes in your case cover everything. Why not take cover under the ladder & eliminate the risk of climbing?

OMG, OMG the fool has just shot himself in both feet - judging by your posts I think that you would need insurance if you tied your shoe laces. So, Yes Yes in your case cover everything. Why not take cover under the ladder & eliminate the risk of climbing?
I am asking you since you appear to know. I been going up and down alum scaffold for 5 solid months without insurance. Just wondering if I dodged a machine gun? I am not quite done yet, got one last job to do this year. Currently held up by ebay seller sending me crappy parts.

Last edited:
4 roof windows? Nice. I hope they are triple glazed to save on gas? Although that makes them very heavy.

I fitted vents under the eaves trays on mine - any extra ventilation in a vaulted roof (?) will help... Would have been nice to have the trays in so the water didn't soak the wall insulation though. With lightweight blocks on the inside it wont take long to dry out...

Been trying to re-felt my roof. Its hard work. Never ached so much in my legs!

Tell, Bob,ree etc resorts to name calling when he gets called out on some of his dubious so called advice.
He knows nothing about roofing can't even get the terminology right...keyboard warrior and troll personified.
lnterestingly he goes with the moon - it's just passed full and here he is in full flow. I've followed his rants for years and it's a definite pattern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back