Roofing irons (extract from Do I need a re-roof)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alastairreid wrote

its an L shaped piece of flat iron with a spike welded onto one end and a foot welded onto the other to accomodate a piece of flat timber which cushions the roof covering from the point pressure created after the spike is driven into the nearest truss. together with another one or two brackets you then lay a scaffold board across them to create a level working platform.

I can picture the spike end but not the other end can you give more details?
Do you leave a couple of slates out around the spike and insert them later as you remove the platforms, does this leave 'weak points' or have you canny Scots got around that somehow?
Still looks like a handy system that I've never seen used down our way, more information would be welcome

Sponsored Links
Hi roofer,
the foot is just another bit of flat iron around 6" in length welded onto the the bottom of the bracket at an angle of around 45 degrees to accomodate a 12" square piece of timber which you screw onto the bracket to distribute the weight.
they are quite commonly used up this neck of the woods especialy for reslating works where the pitch of the roof dictates so.
the spike goes through the centre of the truss (you would leave a couple of slates out) and while the work is progressing a piece of 1f felt is inserted above the bracket in case of rain as the scaffolds are left in place until the roof is complete.

we dont use lathes up in Scotland as readily as you guys down south as our b/regs require us to sarkin roofs, therefore we have nought to perch on while laying the roofs.

i dont know if the hse still allows this practise or it has been outlawed along with the old pin scaffolds :cry:

the trusses we spike into are generally at lot thicker than todays standards and any damage done would be negligible, thats assuming we hit a truss! :eek: sometimes we miss and its spiked between 2 sarkin boards.

the foot is just another bit of flat iron around 6" in length welded onto the the bottom of the bracket at an angle of around 45 degrees to accomodate a 12" square piece of timber which you screw onto the bracket to distribute the weight.
Still can't picture it - any chance of a sketch?
(you would leave a couple of slates out)
How would you fix these in after, with tingles?

Thanks for the info

How would you fix these in after, with tingles?

the slates around the bracket would be single head nailed so they could be turned.
dont forget we have sarkin which allows this method.

if i cant find a pic on the net i will take a photo at work tomorrow and post it.

Sponsored Links

a roof bracket/iron they come in different variations but all based on the same principle. you can also get double brackets which accomodate 2 boards.
as mentioned before i am unsure of the legality of this equipment as far as health and safety is concerned, though they are still in general use by roofing contractors in Scotland.

a little reading for anyone who is interested http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR2-graduated.html

excellent pic roofer! dont know how i missed that thread, never used slate that size before though would like to.

probably the biggest i have used would be half that size though as thick as slabs, i used to work for the national trust for Scotland on old monuments and castles as well as the more mundane properties which was an honour as well as a job of work. the slates used to be fixed with wooden pegs, and the sarking boards were hand made and over an inch thick.
some of these roofs were 600 years old with the original coverings and still going strong.
LOL modern roof coverings have a lifespan averaging 40/50 years, makes sense though as the buildings are falling to bits by then anyway. ;)

hello all i see its been a while since this topic was discussed but these irons are still available to buy and i know a bloke who sells them to the roofing suppliers

More for the guys north of the border though!

Are they still legal?

michaelrose- please could you let me know who supplies these
do you know of any old ones -rigid or adjustable for rafter angle?

those slate are lankys or burlingtons as everyone calls them ive just slated 800m2 roof in them

Still legal as long as the irons are no further than 1200mm apart.
This is about the best guide i know of <http://www.forsterroofing.co.uk/aboutus/documents/Guidancesheete.pdf>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back