roofing questions and worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've got another thread running but I was suggested to start a new one here in the hopes that someone could help me out.

We're currently having Marley ashmore tiles fitted and the roofer has stated that he's nailing the eaves tiles and every third row. Initially I though this seemed ok but by chance I went up on the roof to check on progress and nothing had been nailed at all, not a single tile.

I spoke to the main roofer (who hasn't been on the job but has sent his lads) and he said that they have been nailing them and I was wrong or mistaken. Turns out the tiles weren't nailed.

I asked him to lift the tile courses and nail as he said he would and he's put one nail in each ashmore tile (there are two nail holes) on the side that I've seen and as far as I can climb up.

I've been up and had a quick check over the weekend and what I can reach seems to have been nailed but the front of the house hasn't been nailed at all.

How many times do I ask them before I just take them off the job?

If the tiles aren't nailed twice on the eaves and every third course will this leave the roof compromised when we have a bad storm?

Building control have been round and have had a look at the roof but he was only concerned about the amount of headlap and didn't mention anything about mechanical fixings.

Will the roof pass final inspection or do some inspectors just not check?

I just don't want any tiles to come of the roof the next time it's windy and damage anything or injure my family or people passing by.

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/upcoming-extension-advice.527650/page-6#ixzz67cWSvgyB

Sponsored Links
I believe it used to every 3 rows, now its every tile.

There is a spec, BS5534......

I believe nailing every tile is good, but it makes remedial work pretty awkward.

Im not sure what risk there is of wind blowing them off -not a lot with unless you are pretty exposed location, I think

Hmm, apart from as stated remedial works, it's nobbut a few nails and a few whacks to nail each tile with 2 nails is it?

Mine have been on my roof without any nails since 1956 and they haven't moved.
However, you must go by regs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies all, the most annoying thing is that when I asked the lads they've said "yes we're nailing them" but then when I notice there are still loads of bags of nails left it rang alarm bells.

I totally agree, it doesn't take long to just do the job properly and they obviy know about the proper spec For fitment. I've just been and checked the headlap and we are literally just in on the minimum measurement of 77mm.

Makes me wonder that if I hadn't of gone up there and moved a tile what they would have tried to get away with.

They do alot of site work so surely they have to meet the BS5534 regs in order to get paid.

I've been up and checked tonight, looks like we've got one nail in each tile on every two rows on some sides and the ones they've done recently have been nailed once per tile. It's still not to spec but will this be ok?

Thanks

I've just been and checked the headlap and we are literally just in on the minimum measurement of 77mm
that depends on pitch as that determines headlap, shallow pitches need the maximum

that depends on pitch as that determines headlap, shallow pitches need the maximum

Thanks for the reply, I think that the bulk of the house is around 40 degrees and the front extension roof is maybe 35.

I can't understand why they haven't just put another row in to increase the headlap as there are 3 packs of tiles spare. Actually I have an idea why they haven't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back