Room painting help - complete novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am buying a house next month. I like to paint the rooms myself.

One room contain wallpapers. Is it possible to paint over the wall paper?

What sort of paint do I need to apply [cheap and easier to apply].

I'm complete novice on this matters :oops:

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about a 'finished' i.e. one thats coloured and flat or a blown vinyl?

Sorry, not understood your question.

I just like to know whether I can apply paint on wall paper or not.

Touch the wall paper feels quite flat on wall.

If the paper is designed to be painted on id say carry on..if it isnt, if its a coloured paper then I wouldnt take the chance by cutting corners.

Sponsored Links
You can probably paint over it, is the answer. Obviously if it's bright red and orange, and you want white paint, it might be quicker to get rid of it than put loads of coats over it.

Bear in mind that if you get rid of the paper, you need to clean the wall to remove any remaining paste (glue).

If you paint over it, you may find it starts to bubble as it absorbs water from the paint - these should flatten out again as it dries.

If you are really not sure, just try a little bit - if it doesn't work you'll have to strip all the paper anyway, so no harm done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back