Room thermostat not responsive and Boiler/CH advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I moved house in 2012, and I'm not now sure the boiler/CH system is working as it should.

House seems warm enough and not had any problems with it stopping functioning - CH warm, HW warm etc, but I noticed the other day that the room thermostat appears not to affect boiler operation, so I got curious.
Boiler is a Potterton Promax Combi HE plus

I've had the front off the boiler today and a pic below:

According to the manual that was left:

I'm thinking the yellow loop at 1/2 shouldn't be there and these should be connected to the room thermostat downstairs?

I'm guessing having this loop in will keep the boiler running all the time the timer has it swtiched on, and so not done me any favours with my gas bill!

Sellers declared boiler was changed in 2010 and was working correctly, and I guess with hindsight I stupidly believed them at face value :confused:
Noticed in the back of the manual, where the benchmark stuff is that I guess should be filled in by the installer, it is all blank!
Please be gentle, realised I've been a bit naive :oops:

What do you guys advise in terms of getting it looked over?
I have been thinking I should get some sort of cover e.g. British Gas coverplan so it gets regularly serviced?
Or better to get it in checked out from a local independent first, before being at the mercy of BG?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ha ha I like that one, your room stat is a mere decoration unless a manufacturers internal wireless configuration that over rides your external controls link has been used (dont sound like it though) dont go near BG untill it is sorted they will not sort it out without charging before they take you on cover which is only fair to be honest, get an independant to sort it out for you

The link is for running the boiler on timer only. You are correct. You have no warranty without the benchmark. Get the thermostat wired in by a local Registered Gas Installer/Engineer, initially just tell them the thermostat isn't working - it's a small job that you can use to sound the engineer out before you get them to look after your boiler for you. And check their Gas Safe card!

The link is for running the boiler on timer only. You are correct. You have no warranty without the benchmark. Get the thermostat wired in by a local Registered Gas Installer/Engineer, initially just tell them the thermostat isn't working - it's a small job that you can use to sound the engineer out before you get them to look after your boiler for you. And check their Gas Safe card!

Thanks for the prompt advice.

I'm thinking I'm knackered now regarding the warranty.
Will get a local registered pro in the look at it - will speak to colleagues at work for any recommendation as I'm new to the area.
I will check their Gas safe card too!

The boiler used to be downstairs in the kitchen, so no idea if the thermostat wiring goes anywhere near the new location in the upstairs back bedroom. Might be tricky finding where it comes out. Will need to do some detective work.

Sponsored Links
If you actually want a room thermostat cheapest option will probably be a wireless one if the wiring is not already in place but if you have TRVs on the rads then why bother ? correct use of the timer and TRVs is far better than a room stat or do you not have a timer either ?

Don't worry about finding existing old wires, get your man to fit an RF stat.

I would think the warranty is up now anyway. It would be good to think that once you've had a local chap sort it out you kept him on to look after the boiler in future. Forget BG.

If you actually want a room thermostat cheapest option will probably be a wireless one if the wiring is not already in place but if you have TRVs on the rads then why bother ? correct use of the timer and TRVs is far better than a room stat or do you not have a timer either ?

There is a timer on the boiler, which works fine.
Thanks for the advice on a wireless option.

Don't worry about finding existing old wires, get your man to fit an RF stat.

I would think the warranty is up now anyway. It would be good to think that once you've had a local chap sort it out you kept him on to look after the boiler in future. Forget BG.

Thanks. You're right, I should support my local guys. Hopefully I'll find a good one and stick with them.

A salus wireless unit (RT 500 RF) costs about £60 for the programmable room stat and receiver. A programmable roomstat will save even more money. Honeywell have wireless units that are fully programmable for independent days of the week.

If you are happy enough with the timer/programmer that you have and your rads have TRVs then I wouldnt be fitting any type of room stat you are just wasting money by doing that, we as installers have to install a boiler interlock but if it was up to me I wouldnt as it over rides all your TRvs, it is there to tell your boiler that the room that does not have a TRV installed has got to temperature and shuts down the complete system

I don't really see a programmable room stat as a waste of money. They provide an interlock and save money. Not to mention it's a minimum requirement and best practice.

I don't really see a programmable room stat as a waste of money. They provide an interlock and save money. Not to mention it's a minimum requirement and best practice.

Yes I agree it is a minimum requirement but where do you put it that it will work properly as it was intended to ???? the hall where no one ever inhabits so gets to temp quickly ? the Lounge ? the dining room ? what is the point in installing an electronic device that senses the temperature in one room to override mechanical devices that have been installed in every other room ???

If you are happy enough with the timer/programmer that you have and your rads have TRVs then I wouldnt be fitting any type of room stat you are just wasting money by doing that, we as installers have to install a boiler interlock but if it was up to me I wouldnt as it over rides all your TRvs, it is there to tell your boiler that the room that does not have a TRV installed has got to temperature and shuts down the complete system

I understand.
I think I may prefer a working room thermostat in the location where it's currently installed in the lounge. The lounge/diner is an open plan space in the heart of the house, and when I go away, I do find it useful to drop the thermostat to keep the temperature ticking over whilst away. May be easier than adjusting all the TRVs.
Though I realise it's not been doing much ticking over whilst away so far!

The timer is also rather basic, on the boiler front panel and the circular style with the little pins - more like a plugin light timer (not sure what these are called, sorry!).

you could do exactly the same by just turning down the CH thermostat on the boiler when you are away but your money so fill your boots

Yes I agree it is a minimum requirement but where do you put it that it will work properly as it was intended to ???? the hall where no one ever inhabits so gets to temp quickly ? the Lounge ? the dining room ? what is the point in installing an electronic device that senses the temperature in one room to override mechanical devices that have been installed in every other room ???

overlapped

A salus wireless unit (RT 500 RF) costs about £60 for the programmable room stat and receiver. A programmable roomstat will save even more money. Honeywell have wireless units that are fully programmable for independent days of the week.

The timer is also rather basic, on the boiler front panel and the circular style with the little pins - more like a plugin light timer (not sure what these are called, sorry!).

Salus have a drop-in replacement (RT500RF BC) for your boiler which will set you back around £50 (there's a seller on eBay). It's easy to install, just turn the power off to the system, disconnect and remove the old timer module (3 wires), and plug in the wireless module (same 3 wires).

I would recommend changing the frequency on the unit as the one I bought was getting interference from a neighbour, and turning the CH on/ off randomly. The instructions show you how to change the frequency.

You'll have to remove the TRV head on the radiator where the wireless stat will be located (again a simple DIY job). I find the back bedroom seems to be the best room location as it tends to get cold in there first, but naturally every house is different.

Once installed it'll turn the CH on/ off to the desired temperature throughout the day, in conjunction with 5 temperature presets that you can set to vary the temperature throughout the day. For example here's mine:

Preset 1: 6:00AM - setpoint temperature: 17C (morning warm-up)
Preset 2: 8:30AM - setpoint temperature: 14C (empty house until 5PM)
Preset 3: 5:00PM - setpoint temperature: 19C (everyone's home)
Preset 4: 10:00PM - setpoint temperature: 14C (slightly cooler for bedtime)
Preset 5: 10:05PM - setpoint temperature: 14C (continuing Preset 4 temperature during the night until 6:00AM).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back