Now it's definitely not my imagination, ie it IS getting colder in the
house when it should be warm, ie it's not just me imagining it's
colder!

So is the thermostat at fault?

It's an old 'Lifestyle' thermostat with a square surround and a round
dial.

Could I perhaps repair/service it myself? Or is it a job for a
plumber?

Or could I replace it? Or is that too a job for a plumber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler thermostat is set to high?

The room thermostat may be out of calibration.

Boiloer stat if fault has just happened is probably fine then. You cannot, you need a new room stat.

Sponsored Links
Okay, thanks.

I'm pretty handy with DIY things, is it easy to fit a thermostat?

Is it a simply 'remove old, wire in new' job?

Or is it best left to a plumber?

It is getting very cold outside, and this more than likely is your problem. Your normal thermostat setting is insufficent to heat the house. :idea:

It is getting very cold outside, and this more than likely is your problem. Your normal thermostat setting is insufficent to heat the house. :idea:

That was my first thought but it was colder yesterday and working fine, but less cold today and not heating so well until I turned it up.

The heaters are usually hot and you can't touch them for too long, but this afternoon they were only warm even though the thermostat hadn't been adjusted and the rooms were definitely cooler. Turning up the thermostat sorted the problem. For now ......... but as noted it's done this before, each time needing a higher setting.

This doesn't make any sense. If you set your stat to 20 degrees and leave your heating turned on all year, then the house should be at 20 degrees whether its 10 below outside or a heat wave.

Whatever your stat is set at during the winter, the boiler should stay on longer and work harder to maintain the set temp if the outside temp starts dropping.

New room stat methinks.

Is a room thermostat easy to replace?

It is just a case of turning off the power, removing the old and wiring in the new, or is there more to it than that?

If you're handy with DIY, shouldn't be any problem. If you have a digi. camera, a pic of the stat, and perhaps the wiring inside will help us tell you what you need. Or, take the old stat down to your friendly local plumber's merchants and ask for the new equivalent.

Excellent, many thanks. :)

So it's just a case of turning off the mains power, removing the old and wiring in the new stat and that's it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back