Room thermostat or trv's compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Halstead Best 40 boiler in my kitchen and 7 radiators in the house. All rads bar the bathroom which is on a towel rail are fitted with TRV's.

In the living room and dining room which is a through room the tempreture is either boiling or freezing with no real ambeint temp.
Would a room stat be more appropriate for the whole house or should I just leave the system I have as it is. I have a mechanical time clock fitted in the airing cupboard next to the cylinder upstairs.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Ideally a maain room thermostat and then TRVs in the bedrooms to enable you to set the bedrooms at a different temperature.
There is no problem in using TRV on almost every radiator (leave one without or use a bypass valve) other than the boiler repeatedly firing up to reheat the water that is only going round the pipes once the house is up to temperature.

Yoy should have a room stat to avoid the boiler cycling when up to temperature.

There is something wrong in your lounge.

If you are correctly setting the TRVs they should maintain the set temperatures in the room as they are proportional devices.

What make are they and what setting have you selected and where are they fitted?

Tony

Thanks both for the swift reply.

The TRV's are a make called mistral and are set on mumber 3. If I fit a room stat do the trvs need to come off and be replaced and if so how and where does the room stat need to be fitted?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No you can just set the TRV to the maximum temperature setting or separate the mechanism from the calve itself which you can do with most although sometimes they can look a bit ugly.

The thermostat should be in the main room at a siutable height and not too close to a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back