Room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9C639A42-9CC2-4EE3-A0E0-D6A282E882BC.jpeg
View attachment 152703 View attachment 152703 hi all I am about to install hive dual system ch and hw the boiler is a vialliant eco tec plus 415
And need to remove the room thermostat.i am assuming these is connected to the boiler pcb
Board.as I cannot see any wires for the sat in the programer.can I any one help please.

I have photo of the programer

Sponsored Links
The Hive will replace the programmer quite nicely but as you have figured, the room thermostat needs to be decommissioned properly. It can't just be removed or the heating wiring will be left open circuit and the heating won't come on.

You don't give a make and model of the thermostat, so I can't be specific about the connections, but you need to trace the room thermostat cable back from the thermostat to its origin. Unfortunately I can't tell you where this 'origin' will be as that would have been the choice of the original installer. If it doesn't go to the programmer, it often goes to what is known as a 'wiring centre' or junction box that is often located near the motorised valve(s) and pump.

When you have found the origin of the cable, note where each of its wires is connected and remove them all. (There may be just two live switching wires, or there may be two live switching wires, plus a neutral) Make sure any other wires in the same terminals remain securely in place. Once the thermostat cable has been disconnected and removed, the terminals from which you have just removed the two live switching wires require connecting together using a wire link.

B539E726-F448-4976-BF42-BCC9A9F4551F.jpeg
19AE324D-9B7A-4D6E-AE55-D1DDE264D0BA.png
Thanks for quick reply room sat is Drayton I have found a wiring diagram the boiler i will send photos
Hope these help you to help me further.
Cheers.

Thanks. It's a Drayton RTS1 wired as below.

RTS1.JPG

When you have traced and found the origin of the thermostat cable and removed the wires that go to the thermostat (L) and (3) terminals, a link should be inserted to join the 2 terminals together that you have just removed them from.

The neutral wire is just disconnected.

No need for the photo of the boiler wiring nothing changes there.

Sponsored Links
So the room sat does not go to the boiler pcb inside the boiler as the wiring diagram shows then.

That's a bit of a curve ball! You are providing conflicting information.

The photo of your programmer shows that you have timed hot water control, I know this because it's on the other end of the the wires connected to terminals 1 & 3 in your photo below:

The aforesaid wiring arrangement is for boilers that are connected to a hot water cylinder to provide stored hot water, and that are controlled by a motorised valve. With this arrangement the thermostat is wired to the motorised valve not the boiler.

Combi boilers on the other hand can have the thermostat connected to the boiler terminals because there isn't a separate stored hot water system involved.

So which do you have?

Then the room thermostat won't be connected to the boiler, you are probably looking at the wrong boiler wiring diagram. The Vaillant Eco Tech comes in several variants.

Then the room thermostat won't be connected to the boiler, you are probably looking at the wrong boiler wiring diagram. The Vaillant Eco Tech comes in several variants.
Hi @stem just a wee note if it is a valliant boiler beginning with a 4 it is a heat only boiler a system boiler begins with a 6 and a combi begins with an 8 the next two digits are the boilers output in KW so the 415 is a 15KW heat only boiler and yes I agree OP was looking at the wrong wiring diagram

That's what puzzled me. I thought that the 415 was a Heat only boiler, but couldn't understand why the picture the OP posted said EcoPlus 4 (heat only) but the wiring diagram showed the wiring for a combi. I had assumed that they were from the same source, obviously not.

Thanks for the series numbering info. I don't normally take too much notice of the number when the boiler is in front of me as I can see what type it is. But very helpful for the forum....all I need to do now is remember it. I don't hold out too much hope of that though, I couldn't remember by car registration number earlier today. :confused:

2B20035D-B596-4C0E-9C54-B3E9E3E2E47E.jpeg
FDF02288-DA71-43F9-9F6A-07829D2DA9F6.jpeg
Hi stem I found the junction box I think you referred to and a lot of wires to try and find the room stat
The system is a y system I attached photos.

I can give you a bit of a clue to help you start tracing it.

One of the thermostat wires will be connected to the white wire of the motorised valve. It may not go there directly, but that is where it will end up.

White wire goes the pump black to motorised valve I suppose multi meter and get the wife to turn
The room stat up and down to try trace the correct wires.
Cheers stem.

Hi stem just let you no got the hive all connected,room stat I just connected the live and switch live
together and putting them in a isolation block making the link and the neutral in another block.
Once again thanks for help. cheers Tom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back