Roomstat cutting in and out too quickly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , i have an issue with my continental uf system , the kitchen roomstat is a rotary dial type, i noticed the heating pump was cutting in and out quite often because this stat is cutting in and out too quickly , i swapped it for one from my office and it does the same thing .
I rigged up a thermocouple next too it and started taking note of the temps it will cut out at 23.7 ° then will cut back in sometimes less than a minute temp still at 23.7 °
voltage going to the stat seems stable ..
whats going on here ??

Photo 13-06-2020, 11 32 26 am.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
whats going on here ??

Where is the stat mounted? If it is too near a radiator or source of heat, that might explain it.

If it is an old fashioned bi-metal stat, then the problem with those was too wide an hysteresis (difference between on and off temperatures). They got around that by using a resistor as an heater - stat switched on, resistor warmed up the bi-metal and helped reduce the hysteresis.

Sponsored Links
Where is the stat mounted? If it is too near a radiator or source of heat, that might explain it.

If it is an old fashioned bi-metal stat, then the problem with those was too wide an hysteresis (difference between on and off temperatures). They got around that by using a resistor as an heater - stat switched on, resistor warmed up the bi-metal and helped reduce the hysteresis.

I put the thermocouple right next to it , you can see it in the photo of the stat , the temperature did not change ..

What happens if you disconnect the neutral from the stat? That will isolate the resistor / heater?

If that proves to be the cause, try upping the value of the resistor which will increase the hysteresis/ bring the heating on less often, but for longer on periods.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1404909/Continental-Underfloor-Heatmax-34041.html

Which says - Differential (hysteresis) 0.2C which is very tight temperature control.

..and seems it is not user configurable. The only way to reduce the frequent firing, is some sort of delay timer, so that once it has hit temperature and clicked off, it remains off for a preset amount of time.

Those instructions make no mention of the DIL switch settings nor the 'Floor Limitation' adjustment. The DIL I would guess sets the radio ID for pairing with the receiver, the 'Floor Limitation' adjustment is anyone's guess.

The latter is set to minimum, maybe try tweaking that to see what the result is?

Last edited:
Think I have found manual here as said it has the option for a sensor these are normally used to electric UFH, looking at dip switches it seems to say "thermostat as room sensor with upper limit floor on external probe" however reading the instructions it does not say on/off on dip switch drawing it shows a diagram I assume black is switch position, but could be reverse?

I was considering changing to some digital controllers , maybe i should just do that ..
It does seem to have got worse though .. its going on and off several times a minute on some occasions ..

Yes, try moving it to the alternative position, just to see what difference it makes to the response of the stat.

The manual front page says "Floor temperature limitation (low or high with the optional sensor)". That relates to the setting of the preset pot. Presumably you don't have the optional sensor (which would be floor-mounted)?

Last edited:
Hi , moving that switch has made a big difference seems to be working well now ,, (no floor sensor) ..
Thanks for your help ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back