rose with only 2 wires and supplied by one cable ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks am trying to add a new light but the rose i am dealing with has only one cable going to it and and just live neutral and earth should it not have a seperate switch cable as well frankly i am lost on this

i have attatched a junction box before the rose to supply new fluorescent light

Currently switch on light 1 and if switched on both lights work however light 2 will not work independently unless light 1 is on

Any help would be appreciated
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
That is how the lights in my house are wired, mains to the switch and then switched mains to the lamp.

it seems i am at the end of the loop and the rose having only 1 wire is switched in a junction box under floor upstairs ( dont want to go there ) does anyone know how i can come off this single cabled rose to a new light and switch pls

Sponsored Links
You cannot come from that light if you want the new light to be switched separately.

You need a permanent live.

There will be a permanent live in the old switch. Can you run an additional cable from the old switch to the new light?

Big Thanks For The Replies

No because that would come out in a tiled wall .

I now realize how stupid my question was
I have however found a redundant 30 amp to main board (was old electric shower now gas)

Please confirm if i am on right track
Have put switched fused box on end of this shower wire .
Now intend to run from fused box to light via pull cord

So wire into pull cord and then continue to light .

Also would the larger shower cable cause a problem?.
It was after being a shower cable used to run an outside light so should be good but please comment

... I have however found a redundant 30 amp to main board (was old electric shower now gas) ... Please confirm if i am on right track ... Have put switched fused box on end of this shower wire ... Now intend to run from fused box to light via pull cord ... So wire into pull cord and then continue to light . ... Also would the larger shower cable cause a problem?. ... It was after being a shower cable used to run an outside light so should be good but please comment
That would be fine (with, say, a 3A fuse in the switched fused connection unit). The large shower cable is no problem.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your reply

Sorry to be a bother
I have realized i can come off a separate double switch i have on another wall probably easier
My assumption is just double up on live , neutral and earth
from 1 of the switch blocks and continue as i previously stated

Will that work ok?

Sorry to be a bother ... I have realized i can come off a separate double switch i have on another wall probably easier
My assumption is just double up on live , neutral and earth from 1 of the switch blocks and continue as i previously stated ... Will that work ok?
That might work, if the neutral does actually go through the switch - but that might not be the case. What looks like a neutral may be something else (e.g. a switched live!).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for that i will test to find out if they are neutrals or not so having nowhere to go i now have 2 distinct possibilities .

I will let you know what happens

Thanks for that i will test to find out if they are neutrals or not so having nowhere to go i now have 2 distinct possibilities
How do you intend to test? Your Plan A (or was it 'B'? :) - I mean the unused shower circuit) is the more certain.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the late reply

With your help, which i am grateful for, as i have been at this for some time .

I have done it using the old shower cable through fused switchbox and double pole pull switch works a treat

Thanks again for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back