Two Switch Ceiling Rose Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I have to replace a ceiling rose (new ceiling) and the old one has two way switch. I have done simple direct replacements for light switches and sockets. I am happy with all the locations of the various wires on the diagrams, but my rose has the mains and two switch cables going into it, whereas on the diagrams on this site, one switch cable bypasses the rose and directly connects the two switches. The rose was wired up with both switch cable wires located in the same terminals (not in any seperate terminal block). It did work, but is it wrong/dangerous? Thank you

Sponsored Links
It sounds like they used the cable-saving method,

Cannot say if its dangerous unless we can see it! It should be OK if all conductors are properly terminated.

Post a picture on here so we can have a look!. That will also give you a record in case you get mixed up when you are re-doing the new one.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply. I've put the pic on my website so you can see it - you can see the connections clearly but it was spaghetti junction in there!

I have already disconnected the rose in this picture and put up a new ceiling - if the wiring as shown is ok, I can reconnect it all in the new rose.
Thank you

http://tinyurl.com/yfgm3fk

Sponsored Links
It was before I disconnected it. I just wanted to check that the arrangement is safe - so many things in this house have been bodged by previous owners!

That pic looks fine. perfectly standard wiring arrangement.

Looks like you have two light fittings both controlled by those two switches?

OK. So you have a standard ceiling rose arrangement. The only addition is the feed out to the second light fitting. That is the cable in the pic that has no sleeving on the earth conductor.

You do not have
the mains and two switch cables going into it

You have
mains feed in
mains feed out
cable to switch
and
cable to the second light fitting

Thanks - I understand that now thanks to the other poster! Took a while for the penny to drop for me...

Really you should arrange for your pennies to drop before you come to be standing on steps staring at spaghetti junction.

Probably, but I haven't fitted the new one yet! I didn't realise that the wiring wouldn't look like the diagram until I took it apart, but I was a good girl and put sticky tape with labels on all the wires so I wouldn't get confused :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back