Rot in Roof Rafters - REPAIR ADVICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm new here but been meaning to join for a while!

I've recently bought a 1900's mid terrace with a double roman clay tile roof. I was up in the loft on friday having a poke about and noticed 3 rafters have minor rot- 2 of them being very minor. All the rot on the rafters being close to the ridge, I scrapped away the flaky rot and seems to be just on the surface going back to ok wood. None of the rafters were wet, i think it may be old rot from before it had a re roof in its past. I found a slightly lifted tile at the ridge and corrected it, can't see it letting that much water in to be honest it also has felt.I had some wet rot wood hardener lying about so brushed aload onto the rafters. Will this be ok? I was thinking about sistering the worst of the 3 rafters? Advice would be much appreciated :) I'm on a budget too as just lost my job.. :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The minor damage is on the top of the rafters (The side the battens are nailed to & the felt) so can't get a proper pic just tried.

Sponsored Links
If the rot is near the ridge - and there is still plenty of good timber left under the rot and you are sure it isn't dry rot, why bother doing anything?

Your right Tony1851 that's why I just removed the soft flaky wood and treated it, as I realized there is plenty of good wood left. Tony that's what I thought it was before poking with a screwdriver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back