Purlin repair advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again.

Im after hopefully some really sound advice as I just dont know what to do... So basically one of my purlins has some rot but doesnt appear major - the purlin is 7 inches x 3 inches in size and is unsupported in the middle due to the load bearing wall being in the middle of the loft. Theres no obvious sagging in the purlin. The rot is on the top of the purlin where the rafters birdmouth over it. The rot goes roughly 1.5 cm deep and then hits solid wood again. Essentially making the purlin 6 inches by 3 inches in that area. We are going to be getting the roof re battened & felted in the next couple of months along with 3 rafters. Its the original purlin so is around 112 years old. I dont know if we can just ignore it?/repair it?/replace it? The latter being difficult & exspensive i presume? The purlin is roughly 4.5 metres in length & the rafters birdmouth over it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Going by what you have said i think the purlin is ok. You said your having new felt and battens, but not new tiles? Check what you put on the roof is not heavier

Going by what you have said i think the purlin is ok. You said your having new felt and battens, but not new tiles? Check what you put on the roof is not heavier
Thanks. Using existing clay double romans but have 100's of spares to hand. Gave go ahead to roofer to take on the work

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back