Repairing Rotted Hip Rafter Tails

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my gutters due to the rusting and leaking.

My roof has exposed rafter tails and the corner tails have rotted due to the water damage from the leaking gutters.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair the rotted sections? I seen a few posts about sistering a new tail on - is this an option? If so, how far back along the rafters do the supporting cleats need to go?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Got any photos. How bad it's the rot?

Doubled up exposed hip will look crap

I was thinking of doing the sister further up the rafter inside the roof space, therefore having only the new rafter tail showing below the eve. Maybe I have used the wrong term with sistering, as I agree with you about having doubled up rafters exposed would not work.

Anyway here are some photos. The rot is only on the very ends where the gutter sits. I've done some further research and maybe a repair with epoxy and timber treatment is an alternative?

Attachments

• 20200602_164719.jpg
    20200602_164719.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 480
  • 20200602_164723.jpg
    20200602_164723.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 436
  • 20200602_164713.jpg
    20200602_164713.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 455
That will look awful if doubled.

Yes a wood treatment and filler may work as long as the source of damp is rectified, and all rot in all adjacent timber is treated too.

Otherwise it would be better to splice a new section in with a scarf, splayed or bolted joint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I know it's hard to tell from the photos, but does the hip rafter carry alot of weight at that end?

How far back and what size splice joint do you feel would be needed?

The section of the hip overhanging the eaves does not support much, as the corner (gutters, eaves and roof battens?) are effectively getting support from the first rafters either side.

The splice should be about half to one-third the distance of the overhang - where ever is easiest really.

Thanks so much. So to be clear, do the splice on the outside (the visable tail) or further up the rafter inside the roof space?

Thanks so much. So to be clear, do the splice on the outside (the visable tail) or further up the rafter inside the roof space?
Don't tamper with anything beyond the wall plate or within say 6" of the fixing point. Carry out all repairs on the non structural side i.e. south of the wall plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back